PDA

View Full Version : Clapper Rail

Bill Dix
07-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Yesterday morning, Geoffrey and I made the trek to Sandy Hook in search of Oystercatcher, Tern and/or Plover chicks, and came up empty. Apparently the local foxes have wreaked havoc on the nesting birds. Failing there, we stopped off at one of the lovely marsh areas on The Hook, an area we will henceforth dub as The Rail Yard. With a little audio help we saw at least four, and probably five Clapper Rails in close proximity. I'm hoping John R. will like the lack of a plain BG on this one. Pano crop to 82% of full width.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 800, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual, fill @ -1.3 EV, lowered Gitzo.

Steve Spenceley
07-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Very nice Clapper Rail Bill. I do see them down here in Florida but I've had a difficult time getting good shots of them, yours is really nice.

Robert Kimbrell
07-02-2014, 06:12 PM
You did well to get such an unobstructed view with all the grasses. Nice sharpness and exposure. Ideally I could see a little more defocused b/g, but an attractive shot.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Very nicely handled bright mid morning light, Bill. Like the marsh reed and sand environment, also the walking position and detail. Well done. It was fun listening to and watching these characters.

Geoffrey

Satish Ranadive
07-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Excellent image in habitat. Nice pose, beautiful colors and composition.

Regards,
Satish.