PDA

View Full Version : Multnomah Falls

Norm Dulak
07-02-2014, 04:20 PM
D7000 w/Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens at 12mm, hand held
ISO Equivalent 800; f/5, 1/160 sec., MM + 1.33
Standard CS6 adjustments; slight crop off bottom; visitors on bridge were removed by Content Aware; slight burning of rocks above

Multnomah Falls lies east of Portland, Oregon, and falls a total of 611 feet in two stages.

Norm

Don Railton
07-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Hi Norm

Beautiful set of falls that you have nicely exposed. Nice colour. For me, I would crop out a lot of the sky, to just above the tree tops at the top of the falls. I would do this because I find that area bright and distracts the eye. I also would wish for better detail in the greenery, it seems a little soft, not sure of the reason for that.

Regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tobie Schalkwyk
07-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Wow, nice scene! I wouldn't crop the top but I'd rather use LR's adjustment brush to bring the highlights way down in that area, even moving down with a 2nd brush with less highlight / exposure lowering around the waterfall down to where it meets the bridge (I think a little bit of mist contributes to the over exposed look).

Wonder if it's worthwhile removing the brown object at the bottom - unless you want to remember it exactly as it was?

Norm Dulak
07-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks, Don and Tobie. Interesting comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

Diane Miller
07-03-2014, 06:14 PM
It looks like it was foggy or cloudy, but the overexposure at the top is distracting to me as it's so much that the trees there are broken up. It's possibly fixable in LR/ACR, depending on how much you've done already. I'd try the shadows and Highlights sliders, balanced with Exposure, of course, and nuanced by the other sliders in the Basic tab and the Curve. Then as Tobie suggests, try the adjustment brush for a little more, but first see what you can do globally with the sliders.

I try to remember to bracket exposures in a lighting situation like this. Since it was handheld you can't composite exposures, but one may be best for getting the most information from the raw file.

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Nice waterfall indeed. I too find the bright sky to be distracting here. You can either crop it out or convert this to a high key monochrome conversion to make the sky "fit" the shot.
Tonally I find it a bit thin and too bright in the midtones - easy to use the burn tool to burn shadows and midtones a bit for more depth. Lastly, the cut off trees and rocks at the bottom are less than ideal, but also cropping them out leaves the base of the waterfall too close to the edge. What were your options for shifting/moving to get a clearer shot at the bottom, Norm?

Norm Dulak
07-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Thanks Diane and Morkel.

The haze and heavy fog above made for very bad lighting conditions. Thus I was only able to get a 1/160 sec shutter speed despite ISO 800 and f/5. As for my vantage point, I could get no closer to the falls than where I was. I did use the burn tool to bring out better definition of the upper rocks, but the heavier haze/fog at the top really damaged the view of the highest trees.

I'll try your suggestions, Diane, and will remember to use exposure bracketing in such cases, in the future.

Don Nelson
07-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Norm
Nicely done in fog -- from the classic railing viewpoint.
If it were mine, I'd crop it a little tighter, do a little work to bring up the background that is faded, and get rid of the objects in the foreground.
Maybe something like this (but it will be better using your original raw...this is just an example of what you might consider doing)

And this spring a huge chunk of the rock fell from the top, hitting the bridge with extensive damage. Last I saw this bridge from I-84 it was draped entirely in plastic as they were fixing the hole (about a month ago when I last saw it).

Norm Dulak
07-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Thanks, Don, for your comments and repost.

Diane Miller
07-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I like what you did, Don. It would be possible to do a lot more with the raw file. With this much (or more) highlight recovery, more sky could work. Maybe halfway between yours and the original?

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Hi Norm, this is a beautiful scene...I like Don's repost best as it addresses much of my concern with the too bright sky and the bottom edge.

Norm Dulak
07-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Thanks Diane and Andrew. I agree that Don's repost is good.