PDA

View Full Version : African Grey feather mosaic

shane shacaluga
06-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Spent some time with a few of my friends parrots so decided to do some abstract photos

Here is a closeup of the neck feathers of his African Grey female

D800e
70-300 with extension tubes
f9
1/125
ISO 640

Aperture priority and handheld. No flash

25% cropped off the original for composition. Boosted the blacks a bit for added effect

This is new to me so all comments are highly appreciated

Nancy Bell
06-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Shane, I really like this idea of a close-up of the feathers! It is abstract and real at the same time. I also like the diagonal composition you chose with the more tightly packed feathers in the upper right and becoming more loose to the lower left. For me, I would like to see more feathers in super sharp crisp focus.

Dvir Barkay
07-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Good idea, wish there was more depth of field and sharpness.

BenBotha
07-01-2014, 02:26 AM
An interesting subject. I agree with the comments, more depth of field required.

Ben

shane shacaluga
07-01-2014, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

The parrot is a cooperative subject so will try again with a smaller aperture

Diane Miller
07-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I think just a little more DOF would make a very nice idea even better. I'd love to see you do more with this idea. I have a lot of images of birds where the focus didn't quite hit the eye, and there are some interesting patterns in the feathers that are in focus. It would usually be a pretty big crop, but I could have fun trying to find one worthy of posting.

shane shacaluga
07-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Thanks, i have a few more from the same parrot and one from a Scarlet Macaw that I will post soon.

Thanks all for the comments.

Norm Dulak
07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
As an owner of a Congo African Grey parrot, this is a subject close to my heart. But in agreement with others above, I think that better DOF and sharpness is needed.