PDA

View Full Version : Cockchaffer

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX cable release, Canon 180mm macro, ISO 100 - 0.3, 2 sec f16
Again I have my wife to thank, she spotted this cockchaffer just outside the study whilst I was looking at the macro website. I got the camera and tripod ready then my little mickey mouse tripod with the clip on the head. Then mounted the camera and after this I snipped off the twig and took the cockchaffer to the small tripod. The background is an image of OOF back lawn. I used a reflector to throw a little light back into the darker areas.The shot was taken in the porch to eliminate any breeze. He was very still because it had been relatively cool outside and as you can see there had recently been a shower.
All C&C welcome.

Randy Stout
06-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Jon:

Very sharp, nice details, love the one leg sticking up on the other stem. Soft light,drops.

If you have some more room, I could see some variations with him rotated more vertically, instead of angling down slightly. Perhaps worth a try.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Yes Randy i took him at different angles but he resolutely stuck to that leaf and no matter which way it was a compromise, either I took the head and the body was missing I took him from the side and the antennae were missing - I as on a bit of a hiding to nothing I am afraid.

Diane Miller
06-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Different and wonderful -- I love it! Bugs are so fascinating. (OK -- insects...) I could see a version with just a bit off the bottom and left. Or burn down the white part of the leaf a little. It competes with the subject a little.