PDA

View Full Version : Fuscous Honeyeater in habitat

Dean Ingwersen
05-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Hi all,

Image captured on the weekend...awful light and drizzle nearly all weekend. Background plant is dead mistletoe. I thought it was a nice colour contrast.

Canon 20D with 500mm IS and 1.4x TC, f/5.6, 1/160, ISO 400, AV @ 0.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers, Dean

Simon Bennett
05-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Lovely image showing all the identification features of one of our more unobtrusive birds. I like the reddish leaves in the background. I'd be tempted to crop a bit off the left to about where the leaves begin, maybe a bit off the right too.

Ian Colley
05-20-2008, 03:28 AM
I like this image as presented, the background colours of the mistletoe seem to make the bird pop. I also like the compostion and lighting, suggest maybe selectively sharpen the body of the bird a little.

Gus Cobos
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Very nice composition Dean,
I like it the way it is...:cool:

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Very lovely presentation and excellent focus and detail. The Mistloe adds a beautiful touch to the BG. Thanks for sharing.

Bonnie Block
05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Beautiful bird--in a great pose. The bg vey interesting a compliments this bird well.
I agree it may be able to take just a little bit smaller crop.

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll go against the flow here and say that the BG is simply too overempowering here. The colours are great, yes, but to me the patterns back there are more distracting than anything (especially top right corner). The Honeyeater looks great, exposed perfectly and an excellent head angle.

Dean Ingwersen
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the comments, and thanks for the honesty Daniel...I thought this image may produce some polarised opinions.

Here is a repost incorporating a slightly tighter crop and a small round of extra sharpening on the body.

Cheers, Dean

Steve Canuel
05-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I like the repost Dean. Great colors in this one. The BG patterns are quite noticeable but I think the sharpness of the subject balances that out. It seems to my eye that the contrast between the BG spaces with nothing in them (ULC and in-line with the bird) and the leaves are more distracting than the leaves are to the bird. Nice image regardless.
Steve