PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Pondhawk male

Joseph Przybyla
06-27-2014, 11:54 AM
I captured this dragonfly at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300 F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE) near minimum focusing distance
1/640 F/16 ISO 1000

Nancy Bell
06-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Cool position of the dragonfly with those large eyes so prominent and the wings bent forward, framing and surrounding the head, adding further emphasis on those eyes. F16 was a good choice, giving good sharp details in the head and the veins of the wings. Nice upswing to the tail end, visually continuing the diagonal line of the perch. Plain bkgd is always a good way to go.

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2014, 04:21 AM
A really impressive image - very eye catching, the dragonfly demands attention. Good techs - great shot.

Arthur Morris
06-28-2014, 09:48 AM
This one rocks! Love the super sharp face and the drooped wings that yield a very pleasing composition. EXP and colors are great. I'd go for a smidge of a crop from below to lose that lowest nub and a corresponding crop from the top to a quasi-pano.

All in all excellent work. Nice close focus on the lens.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Cool position of the dragonfly with those large eyes so prominent and the wings bent forward, framing and surrounding the head, adding further emphasis on those eyes. F16 was a good choice, giving good sharp details in the head and the veins of the wings. Nice upswing to the tail end, visually continuing the diagonal line of the perch. Plain bkgd is always a good way to go.

Thank you for viewing and commenting Nancy, I appreciate it very much.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:54 PM
A really impressive image - very eye catching, the dragonfly demands attention. Good techs - great shot.

Thank you Jonathan, I appreciate you viewing and commenting.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:55 PM
This one rocks! Love the super sharp face and the drooped wings that yield a very pleasing composition. EXP and colors are great. I'd go for a smidge of a crop from below to lose that lowest nub and a corresponding crop from the top to a quasi-pano.

All in all excellent work. Nice close focus on the lens.

Arthur, thank you for viewing and commenting. I have cropped the image as you suggested, thanks again.

Allen Sparks
06-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi Joseph, I love the precise DOF here giving sharpness to head, thorax, and wings. Nice head on pose too. well done.

Allen

Diane Miller
06-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Wonderful pose and sharpness! I agree about cropping off that bottom nub but wouldn't tighten up the top any more. I like breathing room.

Steve Maxson
07-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi Joseph. Another lovely shot of a blue dasher! Here's another vote for a slight crop off the bottom.