PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk

Joseph Przybyla
06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 200mm (300mm FFE)
1/2000 F/5.6 ISO 2800
Post processed in Lightroom 5

Randy Stout
06-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Joe:

Remarkable that you were able to get in this close. Are the birds there pretty acclimated to humans?
Very intense look, ready for action.
The shooting angle is a good compromise. Normally I would prefer lower, but then you would lose all sight of the feet and talons.

I might try a version with the midtones pulled down just a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Sidharth Kodikal
06-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Nice look at this handsome and powerful raptor in its environment. It's indeed amazing that you could get this shot at 200mm.
Excellent sharpness. The image appears a bit bright on my monitor. Well done Joe and looking forward to more.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Joe:

Remarkable that you were able to get in this close. Are the birds there pretty acclimated to humans?
Very intense look, ready for action.
The shooting angle is a good compromise. Normally I would prefer lower, but then you would lose all sight of the feet and talons.

I might try a version with the midtones pulled down just a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Hello Randy, thank you for viewing and commenting. At this wildlife reserve in Florida the birds and wildlife are accustomed to humans, but nor normally this accustomed. This bird was this years hatch, so it is still young. It was more interested in the food it had found than me. I had to walk past it and drop to my knee to get an angle to shoot.

I have tried reducing the midtones as you suggested. Wondering what you saw that led to that suggestion?

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Nice look at this handsome and powerful raptor in its environment. It's indeed amazing that you could get this shot at 200mm.
Excellent sharpness. The image appears a bit bright on my monitor. Well done Joe and looking forward to more.

Hello Sid, thank you for viewing and commenting. I was surprised also that the bird allowed me to get so close but it was a juvenile and seemed more interested in eating than me.