PDA

View Full Version : Senecio

Nancy Bell
06-26-2014, 10:27 PM
I was experimenting to find a way to depict an area of the same kind of flowers. When I approach an area like that I am first impressed with a carpet-like spread of color, then I see more the individual flowers. That is what I tried to capture in this image.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, tripod, 1/5000, f2.8, ISO 1250. I used the higher shutter speed because the wind was unpredictable.

Critiques and comments most welcome.

Jonathan Ashton
06-27-2014, 06:16 AM
I like the idea very much, is this purely a wide aperture or have you used additional features to blur?
I think some of the bright yellow areas in focus may be a little blown. Certainly worthwhile making more similar images - you have inspired me!

Joseph Przybyla
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
I like it Nancy, very nice image. Your image gives me ideas.

Nancy Bell
06-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks Jonathan and Joe. All blurring effects are from the wide aperture. Jonathan, I know how to check for general over and under exposure, but how do you check for just one color?

Arthur Morris
06-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Exquisite colors and framing. Though I have never suggested this before what I would have loved to have seen here is that all of the tiny blossoms in the main grouping were sharp with the rest exactly as they are, so beautifully o-o-f.

Some sort of composite or focus stacking might do the trick.... All in all, loverly.

Nancy Bell
06-28-2014, 04:28 PM
Thank you Artie. I took lots of images with various f-stops as I wasn't sure what I would like best. I'll see if I have any that will work as you suggest and I'll experiment with your idea.

Allen Sparks
06-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi Nancy,
I like your composition with the focus off center left and all the blurred blooms backing the image. Lovely.

Allen