PDA

View Full Version : Boat-tailed Grackle

Joseph Przybyla
06-26-2014, 10:27 AM
I was at the marsh at Circle B Bar Reserve this morning and captured this image. The Boat-tailed Grackle was taking flight. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 230mm (345mm FFE)
1/1250 F/5.6 +1 ISO 450
Post processed in Lightroom 5, cropped from horizontal to vertical with canvas added at the top for composition

keith mitchell
06-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Joseph looks like you had some harsh bright light which you have coped with very well, not a big fan of birds against the sky, but I like this shot of the bird in it's environment .

Cheers Keith.

Daniel Cadieux
06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
The fully raised wings is the highlight of the image. With so much foliage blocking the subject I'm surprised I like it so much, but have the tail tip extend beyond surely helps. A bit of highlight reduction would help as the contrast seems strong due to the harsh light.

Stu Bowie
06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi Joseph, the purple iridescence stands out nicely, and well timed to capture the raised wings - pre take off???

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Joseph looks like you had some harsh bright light which you have coped with very well, not a big fan of birds against the sky, but I like this shot of the bird in it's environment .

Cheers Keith.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate you viewing and commenting. I understand regarding a bird against the sky, in looking at the images at home it kind of grew on me so I worked it up.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:46 PM
The fully raised wings is the highlight of the image. With so much foliage blocking the subject I'm surprised I like it so much, but have the tail tip extend beyond surely helps. A bit of highlight reduction would help as the contrast seems strong due to the harsh light.

Thanks Daniel, the raised wings are what caught my attention. The pose seemed to equal other shortcomings. I will try reducing the highlights. I appreciate you viewing and commenting.

Joseph Przybyla
06-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Hi Joseph, the purple iridescence stands out nicely, and well timed to capture the raised wings - pre take off???

Hello Stuart, thank you for viewing and commenting. Yes... the bird is pre take off. It had decided enough of him taking pictures.