PDA

View Full Version : Fire-breasted Flowerpecker

Craig Brelsford
06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
On our just-completed Sichuan-Yunnan Discovery Tour, my team sought--and found--some of the least-known species of bird in China. We also became some of the first persons ever to bird the exotic Dúlóng River (独龙江) in NW Yunnan. Amid all this extra-ordinariness, there was also time for Basic Birding. This is a fire-breasted flowerpecker (红胸啄花鸟, hóngxiōng zhuóhuāniǎo, Dicaeum ignipectus). It's common enough, occurring all over southern China. The male is a feisty little fellow, especially when he perceives a rival in the area (we lured him with tape). The fire-breasted flowerpecker may not be rare, but a close look at this red, white, and blue bird is an experience one won't soon forget. Nikon D3S, 600 mm, F/11, 1/320, ISO 4000.

Stu Bowie
06-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi Craig, great to see you posting again - missed your various species from your part of the world. I like the slight tilt of the head, as if he is listening to your audio. Lovely striking blues, together with the red on the breast. Comp wise, I would create more of a pano here by taking at least half off the bottom. Lets see how others see it. :w3 Cheers.

Jim Crosswell
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Another beautiful bird that I've never seen before. I like Stuart's comp suggestion. The next one must be fire-throated or headed seeing you started with the tail then to the breast with your previous posts.

keith mitchell
06-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Craig this is one stunning looking bird, your image really does it justice, agree maybe a tad off the bottom,that said I would be very pleased to have this just as it is.

Keith.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-29-2014, 09:39 PM
So happy to hear about you again!
This is such a spectacular specie, lovely bird, light and natural habitat!

Craig Brelsford
06-30-2014, 03:49 AM
So happy to hear about you again! This is such a spectacular specie, lovely bird, light and natural habitat! Appreciate your and others' comments. We were on a tight mountain road, and we had to park just 6 m from the branch on which the flowerpecker is standing. Otherwise, we'd have been too far onto the road and in a dangerous situation. The bird is the size of a sparrow and never stops moving, and at 6 m, I was just inside my MFD. F/11 gave me some DOF, but to attain any speed, I had to ramp up to ISO 4000. (Even at 1/320, the lower mandible still shows motion blur.) I'm wondering whether with the new, improved D4S I could run the ISO to 10,000 and take this shot at 1/800 and still get a beautiful result. Anyone know?