Canon 400mm 5.6L
on tripod
late afternoon light
1/320
ISO 200
F/6

John Cooper
05-20-2008, 02:55 AM
A most attractive flower Tom. Recomposing just a little tighter would enhance the composition for me.

Alfred Forns
05-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Hi Tom !!! Very appealing composition. Would suggest to tone down the reds selectively. Love that yellowish bg has lots of feel. Might have consider lining up a little different jut to the right to keep the taller bg grass from lining up with the flower.

Ideally would have pointed the camera left and up to have the flower more on the lower left corner and have lots more of that luscious bg !!! Btw need lens selection !!!!

Posting below my changes. Cropped, reduce the red and increased the yellow very slightly.

Tom Callahan
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, having the out of focus brush not behind the flower would be more appealing. The lens is noted, see above.

Alfred Forns
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Tom It was a typo :o should have said nice lens selection !!! I really like seeing lenses used in different ways This lens used is probably the most unlikely one for the task and I love it !!!!:cool:

JP Bruce
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Tom.
It's a Mexican Bird-of-Paradise plant. You did a great job capturing it. I've been trying for a while now to get a good photo with no luck. Some people have a hard time believing the colors but you have captured them well. Love the background.

Robert O'Toole
05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Great color and BG Tom, looks very sharp also.

Would play with the comp a little as Alfred has done.

Thanks for the ID JP! I have seen this flower quite a bit and could not remember the name! These attract butterflies right?

Robert

Tom Callahan
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the ID and comments

Mike Moats
05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Tom, very cool comp and great color combination. I like Alfreds tighter crop on the top, but like the red in the flower of better in the original.