PDA

View Full Version : Sunset companion

shane shacaluga
06-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Wasnt sure whether to post this in wildlife or on this section

I was looking for a few young Peregrine falcons over the cliffs of Gibraltar and after the light faded too much, I decided to hang around and wait for the sunset

This Barbary macaque had the same idea and we both enjoyed the evening spectacle

Photo taken with iPhone 5s

Usual PS levels and NR on background

Was thinking of making it more dramatic and silhouette the monkey but it was not working out so well

Hope you enjoy the shot as much as I did the sunset and company

Andrew McLachlan
06-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Shane, its a Monkey-scape and quite welcome here in the landscape forum. I am wondering if you added a touch of Nik Detail Extractor to the monkey if it would emphasize it's presence a little more. This image makes me wonder just what the monkey is thinking about. Nice work!

Don Railton
06-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Hi Shane.. this is very cool..! I did not know there were monkeys on Gibraltar... It's a nice scene worthy of a bit more work as per Andrews suggestion I think. The BG is a little soft IMHO, maybe because of the NR, but I am not sure what to expect with an iPhone... maybe you already made it as good as it could be..

DON

shane shacaluga
06-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks guys

Yes the legend is, Gibraltar will remain British as long as there are monkeys ;) They make great subjects

I re-edited the shot with a bit more selectivity in the NR. Looks a bit better to me but please let me know if its an improvement

dankearl
06-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Shane,
This is about as unique as it gets.
Great view and surreal with the Gibralter monkey in it.
I would just lighten it a bit more, easy fix, I just selected the bottom half and adjusted the exposure.
A bit of a halo working with the small file, but you could do a much better job with the full file.
You should post more landscapes, you live in a great part of the world.....

SHANES.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142388&stc=1&d=1403828932)

Andrew McLachlan
06-27-2014, 09:19 PM
Hi Shane, Dan's repost places much more emphasis on the monkey, which I think works quite well. Nice work with the repost Dan!

shane shacaluga
06-28-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks a lot. I think it works a lot better as well. I seemed to be getting noise on the fur when i tried it myself so was not sure if it was the right way to go

Will try and rework the original and will repost

Regards

shane shacaluga
06-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Hi again

Tried my own version putting a bit more light on the monkey but did not take it as far as Dan did

Hope this works too

Thanks for your help with this one

Diane Miller
06-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Very nice! Now consider pulling down a gradient from the top and lowering exposure (or pulling down the middle of a curve) there, to get more contrast and color in the sky.

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Shane, this is a killer shot - love the comp, setting, mood, story!
Your last repost is the best for me, but I also quite enjoyed your darker original post, felt very natural.
:cheers: