PDA

View Full Version : Brown Noddy Aggression

Bob Pelkey
06-25-2014, 05:21 PM

Canon EOS 1DM4, EF 600mm 1:4 L IS USM, Induro AT 413 panning, ISO 1000, AP, f/8, 1/1000, and moderate crop with other selective post processing adjustments.

The interaction between these Brown Noddy was at very near minimum focus distance with the gear used. The location was the North Coaling Station ruins at Dry Tortugas National Park on 10 June 2014 at 1211, which is now my favorite wildlife photography venue. It required an inordinate amount of effort, some pain, and great risk to get the images captured there. Blinkies were present with this image and I reduced the exposure bias by two stops which created images thereafter that were unacceptably dark. A quick recovery was made.

If you've never been to this venue, I strongly encourage you to investigate it.

Regards,

Bob Pelkey

http://swfloridabirder.blogspot.com/

arash_hazeghi
06-26-2014, 12:55 AM
it's an interesting specie, but the harsh midday light and cluttered environment leaves much to be desired here. both birds appear overshapened to me. I hope you find them in more favorable conditions.

TFS

Bob Pelkey
06-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, Arash. I unfortunately had to play the hand I was dealt. I used one round of Smart Sharpen at 100%, 0.7 px, removing Glaussian Blur.

Marina Scarr
06-29-2014, 12:38 PM
This must have been an amazing experience, and I completely understand that you had no choice in the time of day, etc. That said, I am with Arash on the harsh light and distractions.

Bob Pelkey
06-30-2014, 06:00 PM
This must have been an amazing experience, and I completely understand that you had no choice in the time of day, etc. That said, I am with Arash on the harsh light and distractions.

It was by far the most exhilarating wildlife experience I've had to date, Marina. I anticipate returning to this magnificent venue at least annually with the thought of camping for at least several days.