PDA

View Full Version : Solid gold #2

Don Railton
06-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Hi Guys

This is another image (hence a new post) but taken just after the last post I made. This has the suggested changes from that image including amping up the colours a little more...

1D4 & 70 to 200F2.8 at 130mm, hand held
1/1000 sec at F14, ISO 1600.

Set levels in ACR, moved into PS and then duplicated layer and multiplied the layers. I then used a custom luminosity mask to select the darkest colours and lightened them slightly. Cropped to aout 80% to remove a mooring post from the right, and a little off the top and botton to keep the 4:6 ratio. that it..

thanks for looking,

DON

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi Don - I prefer this one for all of the improvements suggested in the other thread. Well done on implementing them.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
06-25-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks Rachel... Me too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don Nelson
06-25-2014, 10:11 AM
I like this post better than previous
I am not a fan of embedding watermarks -- with the nice reflection, this one just detracts from the image, as it immediately draws the eye away from the boats/reflection.
Well done otherwise

Don Railton
06-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi Don

Thanks for the comments... Curious to know what your preference is for watermarks. I chose this style because on the full size image the body of the letter has the same colour as that image it is laying on, its just the embossed edges that define the letters. It looks much better in a full size image IMHO. I did because I thought it would minimise the impact on the image. Unfortunately it does not down scale to the posting size very well. the embossing feature does not seem to scale and I don't like the result that much. I have been think what else I might try... I do use the opacity to limit the impact on the image, maybe not enough in this case.. I am open to suggestions..

regards

DON

Andrew McLachlan
06-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi Don, beautiful work...would not change anything! Works much better now that gulls have swam away and the warm colors are perfect.

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2014, 03:15 AM
Hi Don, beautiful work...would not change anything! Works much better now that gulls have swam away and the warm colors are perfect.
I second that Don, super work! :cheers:

Neil Burton
06-26-2014, 03:45 AM
Works for me, 3 of anything work well and this is a serene scene.

dankearl
06-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Don,
the comp is about perfect and the colors seem pretty natural to me.
I might try to tone down the bright reflection just a tad as they do draw the eye.
Nice work.

Tobie Schalkwyk
06-27-2014, 02:25 AM
The only thing I'm missing (quite badly!) from the 1st post is the space on the sides (PS should be able to remove the pole easily using Content Aware Fill / Desolve). Other than that it's a great photo now, well done!

Don Railton
06-27-2014, 02:55 AM
Hi Tobie, Dan, Steve and Andrew..

Thank you all for your assistance and guidance. I am pretty happy with the shot, it was a good morning with the camera. I plan to take a B&W version of this to my next Camera Club monthly comp. Curious to see what they think of it composition wise without the emotion of the colour.. Tobie, I'll let you know if there are any supporters for more space RHS..

regards

DON

Diane Miller
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
I still love it, but could go with a little more space right and left. I do think it's more dramatic without the birds.

If you flatten before resizing the embossing will stay to scale.

Don Railton
06-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Thanks Diane...good tip on the flattening, looking everywhere for handles to control the embossing, without luck.. Unfortunately I don't have more space on the Lhs, could provide more on RHS only with a bit of cloning out the pole.

Regards

Don

Diane Miller
06-27-2014, 10:18 PM
I think your issue is related to scaling layer styles. Google it for lots of information. Here's a quick summary.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_scale_layer_styles

Don Railton
06-28-2014, 01:40 AM
Huh.... Even more help! Thanks again.