PDA

View Full Version : Firefly

Keith Kennedy
01-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Firefly (Photinus sp.) photographed in a backyard garden in late June.

Canon EOS 30D; Canon EL 180mm macro + 1.4X Canon converter; manual exposure: f11, 1/50s, ISO 640; Canon T24 twin flash at -1 2/3; Gitzo tripod.

Alfred Forns
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Thing of beauty Keith !!!! I like it all !!!! Sweet bg excellent placement for max dof and all so sharp !!!! Big Congrats!!!

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Keith,

I know this is counter to the previous comments but it looks a bit unsharp to me. I like the posture, BG and leave as well as the composition.

Chris Starbuck
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi, Keith.

I really like the placement and posture. The BG is perfect. The wing and thorax look a little soft to me. Since the mid-abdomen and hind leg look sharp, I'm assuming it's a DOF issue. DOF is really tiny at such high magnification. I'd have been inclined to bump up the ISO a little, and dial in -1/3 to -2/3 exposure comp to get to f16. (Wouldn't want to go any slower on shutter speed.) ACR (detail tab) or one of the better noise plug-ins can deal with the noise that would add pretty effectively.

Still a really nice image.

Chris

Keith Kennedy
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Robert, I had not realized I posted an unsharpend image. It looks quite sharp when viewed in Breezebrowser with 'high quality' . However, the very large compound eyes of these insects always seem a bit fuzzy.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Keith