PDA

View Full Version : The Entrance

dankearl
06-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Escalante National Monument in Southern Utah
A slot canyon off the Burr trail.....

14mm (Rokinon manual lens, my new favorite) D800, 1/15, iso200, f8

002_7644bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142313&stc=1&d=1403653293)

Don Railton
06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi Dan

I think I would have stepped forward another foot or two so that trunk RHS was out of frame... I love the colour of the canyon walls, think the green is a bit too saturated but thought that about Arties image of the waterfall also and I was the only one so maybe I need to recalibrate my eyes on that. Apart from that I like where you were going with this.

DON

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Dan - I love the reds of the slot canyon and the use of the path as a leading line. I agree with Don about the tree on the rhs. As for the greens, if it were mine I would darken them and drop the saturation slightly.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Nelson
06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
This one might have worked better as a vertical, leaving out the tree on the right.
Agree with Rachel that the greens are over saturated.

Neil Burton
06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Note sure about the tree, I think it adds a depth, a feeling of being there. Agree about the greens though. Love the wiiiide angle!

Andrew McLachlan
06-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Dan, I do not mind the tree but would love to see alternate versions if you have them without the tree. Rock wall looks great, just tone down the greens and you are good to go. Looks like very nice sharpness throughout with the Rokinon lens...I remember your night imagery with this lens looking soft on the left side, did you change the lens?

Bill Jobes
06-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I guess I'm the only one so far who likes the greens as-presented. A glance at most any photo magazine these days seems to celebrate over-saturation in landscapes.

The foreground tree is a toss-up IMO.

I do like the way its angle mimics the tree at mid-field; but feel it's a bit too much, hard on the right side, without a left side foreground counterpoise.

Bill Jobes
06-28-2014, 06:26 AM
That's exactly the comp I envisioned, Peter. :S3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2014, 03:07 AM
This is a lovely shot Dan. Good colours and depth.
I don't mind the tree personally, adds a feeling of being right there.
Peter's vertical is also great, I'm sure you took some varying comps from this trip - eager to see more. :5