PDA

View Full Version : Krimml, Austria

Neil Burton
06-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Not ever posted in the landscapes section but I am trying to visit more than just the wildlife forums. :) Since I rarely do landscapes these days there won't be much to post I guess, but we took the camper to Austria for the long weekend and I could not resist. Waterfalls were always a fave of mine. Getting shots without masses of tourists wearing red jackets is a bonus, but I was there before the ticket office opened :)

5DIII, 17-40L, f14, 40mm, Lee holder and CPL. 4sec. Tripod.

PS - porrtait images can only be 900px on the long side? :(

dankearl
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
You should do more landscapes, a lot to see in your part of the world....
This is nice although I think a step or two to your right would have helped with the view of the falls.
SS is subjective but a bit too slow for me, some more detail in the water would look good.
I would also take some off the bottom.

dankearl
06-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Here is a suggestion on what I would have done with this.
Hope you don't mind.....
I would also make your watermark about half the size and move it to the bottom or not have one at all
burton.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=142314&stc=1&d=1403655272)

Don Railton
06-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Hi Neil

I prefer Dans crop suggestion too... it reduces the big white FG which always draws the eye, in this case away from the image IMHO. I also wonder what this might have looked like shot wider (in landscape format) to include more of the lower pool. Obviously I don't know what's there but this image leaves me wondering... I also agree the signature is pretty much in your face at the determent of the image... Its a nice scene worth of a few shots, hope you enjoyed your time there...

DON

Neil Burton
06-25-2014, 02:10 AM
OK cheers guys. Any more to the right and I would have needed a wet suit :) There are also landscape versions of this so I will dig one out ;) Crop looks good.

As for watermarks, I am affraid there are so many reposted, copied and even commercially used pictures on the web that I have taken I now add a more obvious watermark. Sorry but it has to be like that.

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2014, 07:34 AM
Hi Neil - I like the blurred water and the colors. Dan's crop is an improvement.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Nelson
06-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Dan's crop is an excellent suggestion.

Andrew McLachlan
06-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Hi Neil, welcome to the landscape forum. This looks like a very lovely spot and I look forward to seeing your other version of this scene as my initial thought upon seeing this was to go horizontal and eliminate the tree on the right altogether. From your wet-suit comment it sounds like you did the best that you could from this vantage point for the vertical orientation...look forward to seeing the horizontal.

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2014, 03:13 AM
Hi Neil, you keep you light hidden on this, like it a lot. :cheers:

Love the slow SS to capture the water, a hint of 'Dairy Milk' for the idea of the liquid water, LOL. I agree, post more, this is really nice work. Wet suit, just roll up those trousers Neil, you are getting soft these days. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Neil Burton
06-26-2014, 03:43 AM
If I could have driven the car up I would :p Seriously, that is alot of water Steve, could not have stood up in it.... believe me I did think about it :) and it is snow melt so I am guessing around 6-10° C :o

Like I say, do not do much landscape work, cos mountains here all look the same to me :) and to get there you need to spend 5 hours in a traffic jam.

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2014, 04:42 AM
Seriously, that is alot of water Steve, could not have stood up in it.... believe me I did think about it

I know you would have Neil, only pulling your leg. :w3

Perhaps if you fancy a drive across the border we could meet in Switzerland next year, possibly September, just a thought, but then I guess you will pop over to the UK when I'm not there. :t3 Still think you should do more mountains based on this.

Neil Burton
06-26-2014, 04:47 AM
Yeh and in a couple of week I will be up in yorkshire, but I bet you won't be ;) Next year September... long way, I usually plan 1 day in advance :)

Diane Miller
06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Wonderful image! I agree -- do more! You did an excellent job of not blowing out whites, which can happen too easily with water at long shutter speeds.

The suggested crop at the bottom feels too crowded to me. I would do a gradient burn there, being very careful about not turning the whites gray. Curves gives you a lot of control. Might not be easy but I think it's worth a try.

Neil Burton
06-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Thankyou. I always want water features to go somewhere and although my crop maybe too much the other may be not enough fall off. Will consider the with the next one ;)

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2014, 03:02 AM
This is really nice, Neil. Dan's made some good suggestions for future compositions if you ever return (and his repost rocks for me).
I don't mind the water blurred as it is, could go either way with this or a bit faster SS as both have their own appeal.
Overall composition in this is strong for me - lots to entertain my eyes with everything bringing me back to the falls eventually.