PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly larva

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro ISO 800-1.33 1/100 sec f16
The point of main interest here is that the larva is shedding it's outer skin, a process that may occur 7 times prior to emergence as an adult dragonfly. If you look at the tail end you will see where the old outer shell is being shed.
This shot posed something of a dilemma. This is conventional incident light the larva is in a small holding tank that I use for dark ground. The water is "clean" but clearly it isn't if you get my drift. I made a very loose mask and feathered it and cleaned up the peripheral background. (I was having trouble tethering my flashes so that is why this is not dark ground illumination).
All C&C welcome - the more critical the better! Don't worry I won't be offended.

Nancy Bell
06-24-2014, 04:53 PM
The translucent effect you achieve gives a unique view to these critters. It does look like this is happening in a tiny dust storm but there is no way to eliminate all those specks without running into the fine hairs. How did it look before the mask? Maybe having the entire bkgd with the scattered bits of stuff would actually appear more uniform, and natural enough, without that imaginary line of demarcation you created. Or you still could use the clone stamp over all the little specks that don't run into the fine hairs. It might not take too long.

John Robinson
06-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Jon
In Paint Shop pro there is a "de speckle "tool for taking spots out. Itis infinately adjustable . Its very useful.
get Paint Shop Pro !!
Cheers
John.
Ps Sorry its called salt and pepper. Small brush coneing is the answer if you have the time .

Jonathan Ashton
06-25-2014, 08:52 AM
There are a several ways to clean this image up but the question is how clean. If it is completely clean it is unnatural, in my opinion. I did versions where I completely cleaned it and also where I cleaned up most just leaving a few fine bits round the hairs/spines. If you look carefully though some of the fine "hairs" are algae that are attached so I think it is important not to remove them.
I made a mask using differing techniques e.g. in Photoshop:- Q then B and then painted away as finely or broadly as required. Alternatively I used the Quick Selection or the Pen Tool, to clean the background I used the Eyedropper Tool followed by the Brush Tool, the Spot Healing Brush is also useful.
The question really is do you think the image is acceptable or should it be cleaned further. My take is that the detritus is not overwhelming the subject, I have left it in the immediate vicinity but removed it more peripherally so the eye is not drawn away. So does this alter your perception is it a "good image" or a "poor messy" image?:S3:

John Robinson
06-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Good question Jon which can't really be answered.
Its really up to you. This is an intereting one because you have all the detritus in an area around the subject. May be a few bits elsewhere might make it more "natural". the other thing is - whats the pic for???
For a book etc -take em all out !!
John

Allen Sparks
06-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Hi Jon, As Nancy mentions the translucent effect here gives a wonderful view of the subject. I'd be interested to see the image without all the cleaning. I think that may be my favorite as a more natural view. A very fine image either way.

Allen

Nancy Bell
06-26-2014, 10:02 PM
How about a "partial cleaning", for a natural, not too messy look?

Arthur Morris
06-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I love everything about this one esp. the lead-grey background color. Only I want to see it larger. I am guessing that you need that 1-5X macro lens...

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks again everyone, Artie I could have gone closer but I wasn't too confident with the balance of the tripod and you know what it's like when the camera is new!

Diane Miller
06-28-2014, 11:46 AM
I love the sharpness and detail in the larva, and I think the idea of this sort of cleaning away from the larva is good, but I can see the border where you left the debris. Better the transition is not so sharp. Put a hue-sat adjustment layer on top and rack up the sat to see it clearly. Part of the issue is the subtle color shift, where the cleaner BG has lost a subtle greenish tone and has less noise.

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I love the sharpness and detail in the larva, and I think the idea of this sort of cleaning away from the larva is good, but I can see the border where you left the debris. Better the transition is not so sharp. Put a hue-sat adjustment layer on top and rack up the sat to see it clearly. Part of the issue is the subtle color shift, where the cleaner BG has lost a subtle greenish tone and has less noise.

What would you suggest - greater feathering and somehow introduce a slight green hue to the periphery. I need to exploit this image - it could prove of great importance for me.

Diane Miller
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, I'd feather it more and let the debris fall off more gradually. You can spot touch lager or more bothersome ones with the Spot Healing brush, it's a breeze. If the transition is gradual enough, matching colors may not be necessary, as the difference in color and texture could be a vignette, but check it with a hue-sat adjustment layer to better see what you have.

It's an image well worth it, I think.

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Thank you Diane I will have a go.