PDA

View Full Version : Wild Rose bud

Nancy Bell
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
This is a very low growing wild rose and I was lucky to find a small patch on the side of a ditch so I could sit in the ditch and not have to lay flat on the ground. My newest field tool are clothes pins, to hold vegetation out of the way, especially the thorny kind. And my time keeper is my dog. When he thinks I have been photographing long enough and it is time to go home, he'll gently push on the camera with his nose :tinysmile_shy_t:!

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 100 f2.8 macro with tripod, 1/160, f8, ISO 800.

Comments and critiques most appreciated.

Ron Conlon
06-23-2014, 05:29 PM
No nose-smudges on that lens, yet.
Funny about the clothes pins, I just discovered the same. The pressure they exert is just about right to hold stems firmly without damage.
The wind, the light, the ditch and the dog permitting, a tighter shot with the bud and its bulbous base diagonal across the frame might have been interesting as well. Still, I like this as it is: there is a rough beauty and character to this species of rose, and the stem, leaves and brown background suit.

Norm Dulak
06-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Nancy, there is tremendous potential here. The rose is gorgeous. Get rid of the blurred thing on the upper left and you convert a very nice photo to a winner. :S3: And do listen to your dog! I take direction from my three dobermans every day!

Daniel Cadieux
06-24-2014, 06:48 AM
I like the brownish BG you got here, and the deep pink of the soon-to-bloom flower is quite vivid. For birds I usually concentrate on getting the eye sharp and let the dof fall wherever it does, but here for the flower I'm wondering that if in this particular case a smaller dof would have been better to get the stem in focus too - but I realize you were grasping for SS in the lowish light. The upwards curling line is appealing.

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Nancy a lovely shot, I would certainly have gone for more DOF and come back a little to get the tip of that leaf in. As you are on a tripod it pays to take multiple images at differing aperatures and ISOs baring in mind how windy it/isn't.

Nancy Bell
06-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I went back to the ditch today and took more images with the above suggestions in mind.