PDA

View Full Version : Portland Head Light (Fractalius)

David N Smith
06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
I just got Fractalius and thought I would try it out on this lighthouse I photographed a couple of weeks ago. I used the watercolor preset and tweaked it to what it is here. The original was pretty much tack sharp.
Please let me know what you think so I can improve using this set of filters.

Thanks.

David

Cheryl Slechta
06-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi, David, I really like using Fractalius for architecture and I like this image. Andrew McLachlan (Landscape Moderator) has a great ebook on using Fractalius - you might want to check it out. I don't have the latest upgrade to Fractalius but the version that I have allows you to change the mix (Opacity) of the amount of Fractalius that you want to apply. Also, you should always apply Fractalius to a duplicate layer so that you can mask out the effect on specific parts if you want to. It's a fun tool to use and you can get many, many different looks. I hope we'll see more!

Arthur Morris
06-22-2014, 08:11 PM
HI David,

I love the careful image design and the overall look. The rocks rock! I am not a huge fan of the effect on the sky and less of a fan of the contrail upper right corner.

Thanks a stack for your membership support.

David N Smith
06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Cheryl and Artie, thanks for your replies and since I am new to fractalius I will listen to any advice.
Artie, I did notice the contrail but was distracted and forgot to go back and remove it and as for the sky I couldn't decide if I liked it or not so I thought I would throw it against the wall and see what would stick next time I will tone it down a bit.

David

Nancy Bell
06-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Great composition with the upright lighthouse contrasting with the horizontal layers of rocks, ocean and sky. I also really like the effect of Fractalius on the rocks. However in the sky it appears too busy and overwhelms the rest of the image. Cheryl has some good thoughts on technique. Fractalius is a super fun program!

Paul Lagasi
06-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Ditto the comments above, I like the lighthouse, home and rocks...nice composition. Sky needs some work, keep on slugging. Thanks

David N Smith
06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input. I will work on the sky.

David