PDA

View Full Version : Scarborough Bluffs

Jackie Schuknecht
06-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Another infrared converted to b and w. These are our local Bluffs. Houses have fallen over the edge because they are made of sand and clay. I think I will try and do a four seasons shot, and maybe do a quadtych. Comments welcomed.

Cheryl Slechta
06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi, Jackie, this looks like the mythical country where the Lady of the Lake lived in the King Arthur tales. I like your conversion and think the quadtych is a great idea:S3: I think you could take a sliver off of the bottom but I like it just the way it is also.

Kerry Perkins
06-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Very nice Jackie! The conversion certainly does give it an other-worldly look. I really like the way the tonal range is distributed in the image, with the cliffs being darker than the trees. Could it possibly need a very slight CCW roatation?

Diane Miller
06-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Lovely! The four seasons idea is wonderful -- would love to see the result! I'd consider doing each season in both IR and color, although I think IR is a great idea.

I agree about a tiny bit of rotation -- the "horizon" like on the left is just microscopically off, but the water line to the right of it naturally angles toward the viewer a little, giving an illusion that it's off more than it really is. I'd probably strike a compromise. Sometimes perception trumps accuracy.

Nancy Bell
06-23-2014, 01:35 PM
As with your other IR images, I really find that unique glow & clarity very interesting and appealing! Love the white line of trees separating the crisply rising cliffs from the layer of water with the scattered lily pads. Nice sweeping clouds in the sky topping the image, plus they balance the lily pads. Agree that a bit of rotation needed.

Paul Lagasi
06-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Jackie I didn't read any of the comments above. I looked at this image and scrolled straight down. This is super example of IR, that's why I was taking IR images on film years ago. I am blown away by this one and never realized Toronto had bluffs like this. Super job.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the comments, I walked around for quite a while before I found this view. And indeed yes it needs a titch of rotation, thanks all you sharp eyed-hawks:bg3:. I also entered this in a local contest featuring images in and around the Bluffs. Wish me luck! I think IR might be off the radar, and the contest may be more conservative, but who knows!!!