PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle at sunset

Dvir Barkay
06-22-2014, 01:36 AM

More of a habitat shot, but all the nice light shots could only be made from a distance. He is very far off, using google maps and my memory of his location, he is about 250 to 300 meters from me. I liked the light, as it was getting very near sunset, and so a subtle golden glow. I do wish he was much closer, hopefully next time.

Canon 1DmrkIII, Canon 300/2.8 L IS with x2TC, F/5.6, ISO 1000, 50% of original image, Conowingo Dam, 2014

Randy Stout
06-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Dvir:

I like environmental shots, as well as close ups, and have actually started doing more 'atmospherics' over time. So, I appreciate your effort. In many ways, it is harder to take an effective habitat shot, because the composition becomes more critical, and you have less control over what you include in the frame.

The light is very nice on the bird, good wings up position, nice angle of the bird towards us. From a compositional standpoint, the image is a little left weighted. Too bad he didn't fly from right to left to give it a different balance.

Cheers

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I like what you were going for, I just wish you did not have to crop 50% to get the bird this size in the frame...that's not very many pixels on it to give you details for anything posted or printed large. Good light quality as Randy points out, and any sighting of an eagle is special :-)