PDA

View Full Version : Show overlay in PS CS6

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Hello all.
I canīt get to use the shortcut ''\'' when I am working on a layer mask to reveal where my selection goes or ends.
Any idea how I can solve this issue? I have not changed any of the PS default shortcuts and I have tried all combinations in my keybord but no luck as of yet.

Your help is of big value to me!:S3:

Diane Miller
06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Make sure the layer with the mask is the active one. If so, the backslash key should show the mask as an overlay. Just the key, no combination. It shouldn't matter if caps lock is on or not.

Try an Alt-click on the mask thumbnail and see if that works -- that will show the mask in black and white. (Click again to toggle it off.)

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Make sure the layer with the mask is the active one. If so, the backslash key should show the mask as an overlay. Just the key, no combination. It shouldn't matter if caps lock is on or not.

Try an Alt-click on the mask thumbnail and see if that works -- that will show the mask in black and white. (Click again to toggle it off.)

Hello Diane

I already checked and yes, I have selected the mask. On my keybord I have the \ but also two more characters so in order to get the \ I have to combine it with ALT Gr, donīt know if my keyboad could be the one that gives me this trouble. I set the keybord to work in English and not Spanish as the defoult but still does not work.
I was able to Alt click on the white mask and yes, it shows me my image in Black&White and shows where I have brushed but I have seen the light red/pink on my images before while working in masks and find it to be more precise as one can actually see where one is brushing. I just updated my whole computer and got a brand new keyboard. That could be the culprit.

Any ways I want to thank you for your input.

Diane Miller
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
Have you tried the new computer with the old keyboard? It sounds like the keyboard or the language character setting may be the issue. You might log into Adobe Forums and post an inquiry there.

But as a practical matter, I rarely need to visualize a mask with the overlay. (It's sort of like training wheels on a kid's bicycle.) Just view the image and brush corrections to the mask while looking directly at the results. It's easier than it might sound -- although I agree that sometimes it's nice to see the overlay.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Have you tried the new computer with the old keyboard? It sounds like the keyboard or the language character setting may be the issue. You might log into Adobe Forums and post an inquiry there.

But as a practical matter, I rarely need to visualize a mask with the overlay. (It's sort of like training wheels on a kid's bicycle.) Just view the image and brush corrections to the mask while looking directly at the results. It's easier than it might sound -- although I agree that sometimes it's nice to see the overlay.

OK Diane

You could be right about the ''kid's bicycle wheels'' but I like to see the actual overlay just to confirm that I am not missing part of the image where some work needs to be done.

I just found the key that the Į button works as the \ so happy that finally I am able to see the overlay!

Thanks Diane for your help.

Diane Miller
06-21-2014, 10:35 PM
No problem with that, and apologies -- it was just a general comment, but didn't sound very polite! I visualize where each is by clicking its eyeball (visibility) on and off.

I usually work with masks limited to fairly simple areas each -- no problem with having lots of them, even if they overlap. Each one usually doesn't need to be very complex.