PDA

View Full Version : Ruby-throated Hummingbird Female

Joseph Przybyla
06-20-2014, 02:46 PM
This summer hummingbirds have been attracted to a bush in my back yard. I have been working on photographing them as they feed on the flowers. The backyard borders a fairway of the golf course in the community I live in. The background in this image is the grass of the golf course in afternoon sunlight. I have to wait till late afternoon to photograph otherwise the light is on the wrong side of the bird and bush. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/1250 F/5.6 ISO 360
Post processed in Lightroom 5, cropped about 50% of FF for composition, cloned out some out of focus vegetation in the lower right hand corner, I desaturated the BG/grass because the green seemed too bright, also noise reduction to the BG

Randy Stout
06-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Joe:

Well exposed, sharp, some impact on IQ from crop. A little too much negative space for my taste, but you had to strike a balance between composition and IQ because of the size of the crop that the image would tolerate.

She is angled a bit away, which can be somewhat less engaging.

The golf course grass gave you a nice even BG to work with.

Cheers

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Nice little hummer!
Good exposure on the bird but looks a tad noisy despite the low ISO you used. Nice to see the fanned tail and the wing blur.
My only wish is for the bird would give you a better head angle. Do you have more of this series? would love to see more.

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Good critiques by the boys, which I agree with. Great colours, and I love that flower bush the hummer is attracted to.

I guess you are busy photographing birdies while the golfers are desperately trying to score some:S3: