PDA

View Full Version : Solid gold...

Don Railton
06-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Hi guys,

This is another taken at the same spot as my previous post in this forum. It's taken a bit later when the golden glow of the iminent sunrise is at its best. IMHO the image is not that wonderful but I just love the light here and wanted to share it... It's a magical time of the day.

Canon 1d4 and 70-200 F 2.8 hand held at 130mm
1/1250 sec @ F8, ISO 1000.

Processed in ACR CS6 for levels... that it..! No sharpening or NR.
Slight crop from right and lower border.

DON

Arthur Morris
06-20-2014, 07:25 PM
A nicely designed image. But for the gull in the center that merges with the reflection of the mast.... You could have gone a lot lower on the ISO even hand holding. And lower still had you been on a tripod. Lastly, I think that you could have either juiced up the colors nicely here or gone to a SILH. Thanks for sharing. Is this your home city?

Don Railton
06-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Hi Artie

Thanks for the comments, and I agree with them all. Settings choosen for chasing a shot of the gulls which were diving on bait fish in the foreground, no luck however... I saw this and took a quick snap before the gulls took off again. Also has a tripod handy but not much use for BIF. I guess I could have setup to do the shot properly but I think the photographer in me was satified as I went to this spot for the previous post which I was happy with..

Yes, this is my home town, Perth Western Australia. What is a SILH? I agree I could have amped up the colours more but my preference always is to keep it real... and I thought nature had made it unreal as it was...

best regards and thanks again for commenting

DON

Arthur Morris
06-21-2014, 05:18 AM
SILH is short for silhouette. Thanks for the info above.

Andrew McLachlan
06-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Hi Don, I like what you were going for here. If it were mine I would evict the two gulls and the steel post in the water on the right and then use Nik's Viveza and place a control point on the sky and adjust the warmth slider to juice up the colors as Arthur suggests.

Don Railton
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks Andrew.. I have one without Gulls so I will give it a shot tonight.. as a separate post of course..

Regards

DON

Diane Miller
06-27-2014, 10:59 AM
I love this image! The one gull center could go, and the post, but they aren't spoilers, for me. And I love the soft colors. The bright highlights on the boats add a dramatic touch. The mist subdues the BG beautifully, letting the boats stand out so well.