PDA

View Full Version : Bothering Dad!

edwardselfe
06-19-2014, 08:02 AM
These cubs were trying to play with Dad and he wasn't that keen. Taken in the N of the S Luangwa National Park.

I like this image and I like the interaction, but I'm not so sure about the IQ. If anyone has ideas about why it doesn't seem up to scratch, I'd be most appreciative.

1D4, 500mm f4 @ f4.5, ISO 800, 1/8000s (yes very high so should have dropped ISO but the cubs were running around and wanted to keep SS high).

Thanks so much.

Ed

Andreas Liedmann
06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Hi Ed , it is working for me as presented . I like the overall scene with the three guys .Good colors , tonal range and contrast. So i have no idea why you say IQ is lacking ? But i do find it very difficult to say why IQ is lacking , if that īs the case :S3:.

I just like this, good work

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
06-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice moment and light here Edward. IQ looks fine at this size - is it the sharpness at higher resolution that bothers you?

Rachel Hollander
06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi Ed - I'm not seeing any IQ issues at this size either. Nice playful interaction in good light. Dad's tail in the air adds to the image as does his walking pose. I'd be happy with this one.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
06-20-2014, 01:47 AM
Hi Ed, I would echo Rachel's comments & observations, however, if you have it, then tad more image below wouldn't hurt I feel, it's a wee bit tight as presented for me.

TFS
Steve

edwardselfe
06-20-2014, 02:33 AM
Many thanks guys. As always, love the opportunity of second, third, fourth....opinions. Perhaps I just spent too much time looking at it and got a bit cross eyed. If I remember, I do have a little more below, but lost some of it due to a little bit of straightening. Agree that it's a bit tight below and will see if I do have any more space.

Thanks so much.

Ed

Loi Nguyen
06-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi Ed, love the interaction and the comp. good light and colors. IQ looks good at this size, but I suspect at higher magnification, you may not have enough DOF at f4.5 for all of them. I think SS at 1/2000 - 1/3200 would have been enough and I would suggest something like an F8. Are you shooting in Manual mode? Loi

Steve Canuel
06-21-2014, 12:38 PM
IQ looks fine to me as well. I like how the dad seems to think if he doesn't look at them, they'll go away.

Gabriela Plesea
06-29-2014, 03:28 PM
It looks great to me, Ed, no problems with IQ!

...although 1/8000s was way more than you needed to capture these little chaps in action, I think. It is a bit tight at the bottom, like everyone says, but maybe cropping a bit from the RHS might create an illusion that it isn't? Unless you have more on the bottom of the image...Great behavioural shot you should be so proud of - very special moment, enjoyed viewing and I get the feeling there's more where this came from? I do hope to see more and shall look out for your future posts:w3

Kind regards,