PDA

View Full Version : Mating Burnett Moths

John Robinson
06-18-2014, 05:21 PM
If you want to try stacking then these are the guys to practice on !
Went out before tea and found these,and took a load of stacked sequences. Had tea and then started processing- all rubbish.
Went back out and they were still there. Did a load more lots and that was at twenty past eight !
Much better but not what I wanted.
These nearly always feed on Knapweed and usually rest on it in the evening and are common.
D7000
Sigma 150 Macro
320 ISO
50th @f 7
6 Stacked images.
CZM/Paint Shop Pro
80%V of full frame.
Thanks for comments on Buff Tip shot.
Cheers
JR</SPAN>

Ron Conlon
06-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Tantric stacking? Lovely work, John in all except for nits along the bottom margin.

Jonathan Ashton
06-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Nearly Jon nearly!. I am lazy just step back a bit and go or for f16 - much easier! I am expecting many any day now. Small numbers appeared Tue/Wed. As soon as the female has emerged there is a male waiting to mate with her - she hasn't even had a bite to eat and they are there!

Nancy Bell
06-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Wonderful composition with the moths creating a V-shape around the flower head. I really appreciated your saga of stacking. I'm more in Jonathan's camp of increasing DOF and one shot! However your final stacking did create a great image with lots of detail and both eyes in focus.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Lovely moths, pose and BKGR. Most everything but the head of the one on the right is sharp. Killer BKGR. How are you focus stacking?

John Robinson
06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Thanks all. Yes I too often advocate getting back a bit and and a small aperture but to get the depth of focus on a subject like this would mean a long way back and hence a smaller image- and loss of quality. Stacking is good fun and is far better when you get it right. getting it right is the hard bit.!
Arthur
Its a tripod, release and either a 50mm or 150mm macro. I use an aperture of about 5.6/7 . Hand focus and I start at the nearest point on the subject and work back through it in planes of focus. You have to let go of the lens focus ring each time else you can get tremblies !! Ithen use CZm -a free stacking sofware by Alan hadley. You can always remove pics at the start and end of the sequence as you wish.
There are things that move the camera automatically etc etc but are very expensive- and less fun.
Cheers
JohnR