PDA

View Full Version : Owl and Funny thing

John Robinson
06-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Little Owl</SPAN></SPAN>
Had an interesting hour or two with my owls/owl . I sat in my car at a distance trying to see any evidence of young yet. As I said in an earlier post some time back- little owls love perches and in this farmyard there is plenty of choice as a scrap merchant also uses it as temporary storeage All sorts of things turn up - like this object. No idea what it is. Looks like it came off a chapel bell tower or something.. Who would believe a LO could want to sit on that !! One false slip and it could be painful !! I noticed hin/her using this new artifact frequently . Maybe its just the right height from the ground..They seem to like being quite close to the floor to hunt from. You can see where the light is coming from by the eyes.</SPAN></SPAN>
I have been helping them out with food. I managed to find a dish that would prove to be inescapable to earth worms. You,d be surprised at what they can crawl out of.!</SPAN></SPAN>
The owl emptied the bowl twice the next night but ate most itself so I think maybe no young yet. Maybe not even a female sitting. We will see. In the end I ran out of worms.</SPAN></SPAN>
D7100. Nikor 70-300..
F8 80th sec @500 ISOThanks for comments on las tpic. Got a massive backlog of recent pool shots at my new set up. Seems to get better every day. So nice to be retired but nearer to death !!!!
Cheers
JohnR
</SPAN></SPAN>
</SPAN>

William Dickson
06-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Nice image John and interesting story to go along with it. I would have have cropped it more John and just showed the pointed part, but thats just my opinion

christopher galeski
06-18-2014, 03:51 AM
nice capture John,good eye contact,agree on cropping it more,TFS.

Satish Ranadive
06-18-2014, 05:48 AM
Magnificent image with nice color balance in the frame.Love the the way he is sitting on the slippery tip of antique piece and his eyes.

Regards,
Satish.

Joseph Przybyla
06-18-2014, 06:37 AM
A beauty John. My only nit would be a little CCW rotation to straighten the perch, just me no big thing.

John Robinson
06-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Thanks all. Funny thing is - I was gpgoing to cropas suggested but left as it was to see if anyone knew what the "thing" was !!
Will do in a while Fishing time again.
Cheers
JohnR

stuart wanuck
06-18-2014, 08:46 AM
love the perch and image

Binu John
06-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Excellent shot and story, John! Love the pose, eye contact and exposure! Well done!

John Robinson
06-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks all
here,s a re crop
Cheers
JohnR

gail bisson
06-18-2014, 06:59 PM
A really nice "hand of man" image.
I really like the precarious position he is in. Amazing he can hold onto the perch!
Good IQ. Repost addresses my only issue with the OP.
Gail

dennis greenwood
06-21-2014, 03:46 AM
It would be rude for me not to reply to a little image John, nice to see the bird land on something that's not been pre set up, me I am guilty of that on many occasions ,i little different with a natural background...looks to me John it could be the male ,females underbelly feathers would be looking a tad ragged at this time of the year ,that's if they have had a successful brood .