PDA

View Full Version : Three Cutie-pies. Piping Plover chicks

gail bisson
06-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Had a great day out today. The weather and work have kept me in for 3 weeks but it was nice and dry this am.
This family of plovers lost all their chicks last year but this year they have 4 chicks that are now 6 days old. Hopefully they will all fledge this year.
I was able to capture 3 of them in one frame which is a big deal as those of you who have experience trying to get a sharp shot of these non-stop moving fluff balls know.
I wish that all chicks were looking my way but this is still the best I have ever managed.
Canon 1Dx
F 600mm and 2x III tele
ISO 800
SS 1/2000 @ F 8
60% FF, NR to BG, levels, sharpened each chick individually as the middle one was not as sharp as the other two, Cloned out 2 stands of grass near the right hand chick, USM to JPEG
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

John Robinson
06-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Thats a great shot Gail
Positioning of chicks does OK for me and love the vegetation too. Imagine the shot without it !! Nice graduated background.
Love it .
JohnR

Karen Forderer
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Beautiful photo! The chicks are so sharp. I always have trouble getting fluff balls to look sharp. I also love the vegetation on the side. The background is very pleasing.

Marina Scarr
06-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Your BG is killer. The sand and grasses work nicely. Great getting 3 in the same frame...and not an easy feat. Super IQ and as mentioned, the only thing that could improve this image is if the third chick had answered your prayers!

Bill Dix
06-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Beautiful, Gail, and quite amazing. I have tried to photograph these fuzzballs, and they are so fuzzy that often the AF doesn't know what to do with them. Beautiful light, lovely touch of greenery. Great comp.

arash_hazeghi
06-18-2014, 01:13 AM
nice light and low angle, I agree with your self critique re HA for the third one.

I like the grasses, they balance the frame nicely and provide a reference for scale.

TFS

keith mitchell
06-18-2014, 02:16 AM
Gail you have made a terrific job of these little fuzzballs,it would be very hard to find anything to criticise, love it.

Regards Keith.

christopher galeski
06-18-2014, 03:46 AM
loverly capture,the BG is pure magic,the chick's are well sharp,as been said the grass balance the image,and I like the sloping beach.well done.

Satish Ranadive
06-18-2014, 05:57 AM
Gorgeous image of three sweet little ones against beautiful BG. I like the diagonal sand with grass at the end.
Rest is as usual superb.

Regards,
Satish.

Joseph Przybyla
06-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Shall I echo all the other comments... you nailed it Gail. Lovely image.

Joe Murphy
06-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Very cute Gail, lovely detail & BG, beautiful.

Holger Leyrer
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Sweet image, Gail. Wonderful in every way

Daniel Cadieux
06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Apart from your head angle wish this is such a sweet and appealing image. Love the BG and vegetation...not to mention the adorable subjects.

Binu John
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
What a cute shot, Gail! Excellent light, BG and composition. I would do a slight CW rotation as the gradient BG appears a bit tilted.

David Salem
06-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Pretty darn cute Gail. Aside from the HAs not being perfect, this is still a very appealing frame. The colors are great and the green grass adds a ton to the image. Well seen and captured Gail