View Full Version : Hallowen Pennant Dragonfly, male

Allen Sparks
06-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Canon 7D, 300 f4 IS, 1.4x TC II
ISO 400, f16, 1/60s
tripod, cable release, mirror lockup

Jonathan Ashton
06-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Really nice one Allen, great pose perch and background. All wings pointed up - don't see that very often over here.
I have been trying a couple of variants:
Add a curves layer and take the central point and lower it just a tiny fraction the contrast increases just that little bit.
Similarly if you add a Levels layer and take the mid point slider and slide to the right just a tiny bit it increases the contrast just a little. I think it makes a difference - maybe worth a try?

John Robinson
06-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Thats a great looking critter Allen
Does looka little "punchier" a little darker- but with my monitor I can just move my head !!!!!
John

Steve Maxson
06-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Allen. This is a beauty! Love the way we can see the wings in this side view. Excellent sharpness, comp, and background. Very well done!

Nancy Bell
06-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Great image with a wonderful full side view, simple perch and lovely colored bkgd without any details. Wonderful highlighting of the veins in the wings. I can see why this is called "Halloween"...with those bright oranges in the wings.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes a beauty. Jon, are you trying to say the wings are a bit too dark? :) Love the BKGR. And the perch is amazing, in part because it mimics the colors of the subject.

The cut-off what-ever-it-is on the lower right is a tad distracting.... What did the ORIG look like there?

Allen Sparks
06-23-2014, 03:45 AM
Hi Arthur, Thank you for the comment. The original before any processing is as seen in the OP except for a little lightening. Looks like I could do some cloning in the lower right.

Arthur Morris
06-23-2014, 03:52 AM
Thanks Allen. I was looking to see if you had a bit more room below.... I think that you mean lower left :)