PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Floral Post..ever!

Doug West
06-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Alright, had some down time this past weekend and decided to try
Denise Ippolito's e-guide on Pleasing Blurs.

This is the first one. I can't remember the exact details cause I'm
doing this from work, but it was shot with the Canon 1D Mark IV,
70-200 F2.8 I lens with a slight upward movement. I was in
Shutter Priority, somewhere between .6 and 1 second.

Doug

Jonathan Ashton
06-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Doug this is great - love it. I am not usually a fan of blurred images but occasionally one floats my boat and this one does! I like the colours but just perhaps the greens are a little vivid(??) maybe not I wasn't there!

Doug West
06-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks Jonathan. Maybe I'll post another one :)

If I remember, I think I went a little extra on the vivid on purpose. The 'normal' greens just seemed
to ordinary for me. I wanted it to jump out a little more.

Doug

Allen Sparks
06-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi Doug, Love this. Agree the added saturation gives it more of that painterly look and really pops. Inspires me to try this myself and I rarely if ever shoot floral. Creative and well done. -- Allen

Doug West
06-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks Allen. I actually tried flower photography, but sucked at it. So I became a bird photographer.
But lately on the slow days for birds, I've been doing more floral and getting a little better. Reading
and following Denise has helped me tremendously.

Doug

Kaushik Balakumar
06-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Lovely abstract, Doug. Loved the rich vibrant colours there. Nice panning job. Did you invert this image in post ?I however find the orangish-yellow spot towards right-top, a bit interfering with the harmony of the rest of the image.
Might try a 4x5 crop on this frame by cutting off 1 inch from the right.
Just my thoughts.

Doug West
06-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Nope, no inverting.

Doug

Nancy Bell
06-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Hey, you should post this in OOTB! We love blurs over there! (Just a bit of promotion on my part :S3:!) Nice layers of very saturated colors. Denise is the queen of flowers & creativity so you're have picked a good mentor.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Wow. Flowers and a blur. I love the fact that you got the top to bottom framing just right on this vertical pan blur. I'd back off on the vivid a bit :). I will send Lady D a link.

Doug West
06-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks Artie. I guess there's a little bit of influence from you and Denise in this with the blurs and top/bottom
framing.