PDA

View Full Version : Any perch will do

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Owls love perches, especially new ones I've found and similar to Kingfishers, new perches need to be investigated.

This Little owl as you have seen before uses an old disused telegraph pole, perching on the foot bars, not ideal for me, as they start around 15ft off the ground, but at the base was the old rusty isolator hubs (for a better phrase) so I just stood it up and waited, not for long. The firing of the shutter obviously caught his/her attention.

Will shortly go off to see if we have any new arrivals, fingers crossed.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/1600s at f/7.1 ISO2500
Original Format: Portrait (slight crop)

Jonathan Ashton
06-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Lovely pose and detail. I guess it was rather low light..... just wondering if it might benefit from a little warming up??

Enrique Patino
06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Image with Character. Do I see a slight green cast? TFS

Stu Bowie
06-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi Steve, great eye contact, and I like the soft light and clean BG. The texture of the rusty steel shows up very well.

christopher galeski
06-16-2014, 02:40 AM
nice shot,like the pose and BG,not a fan of man made perch's,but this one work's,because of the detail in the rust.TFS.

Binu John
06-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Very nice shot, Steve! Love the pose, eye contact, composition and clarity! TFS

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi Steve , dull light has helped to make this working very well . Love your way you process the little Owl images :5., well done.
Great pose of the subject. But the perch……… but has been chosen by the owl and not by you.

TFS Andreas

arash_hazeghi
06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I love everything except foe the perch. If the owl is resident I would try to setup a nicer perch and try to get him on it.

Morkel Erasmus
06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Quirky shot Steve - not an ideal perch photographically but guessing you posted because of the "quirk" factor :t3.
Lovely separation from the BG!
The owl looks a bit "cool" and perhaps green to me - but I'm not familiar with the species' natural colour.

keith mitchell
06-17-2014, 03:27 PM
Steve the perch looks great to an old ex BT telephone engineer, even remember working on those old insulators, like the typical Little Owl stare especially when over the shoulder.

Cheers Keith.