PDA

View Full Version : Matilda Bay retake..

Don Railton
06-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Hi Guys

I posted a shot from this location a few weeks ago which had a tree branch dropping in from top of frame. It was a distraction best removed that I tried briefly to do in PS but decided in the end to reshoot the image. This is that image... Taken this morning, its been a beautiful winters day here in Perth. It was ~ 2 degrees C at time of the shot, cold for me but worth the early 'getup..' to see a beaut sunrise.

1D4 + 24 to 70 F2.8 at 70mm with Tripod
30sec at F11, iso 320. 3 shots stitched, leveled, start trails removed, and adjusted levels & sharpened and cropped to taste.. Thats it...

I have cropped the attached at the 16:9 ratio, I also have a wider verson at 3:1 That I am considering for my wall. I choose not to post yet because the resolution of that is very compromised when sized to the 800 x 1200 pixels ...

DON

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi Don, love the clarity, sharpness & detail in this, first class. The lights, colours work, with a strong anchor, the pontoon. Crop is spot on for me, cool image and certainly would be nice, big on a wall. :cheers:

It was ~ 2 degrees C at time of the shot, cold for me but worth the early 'getup..' to see a beaut sunrise.

Days like this Don are well worth the effort, cheers matey.

TFS
Steve

Don Railton
06-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks Steve..!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tobie Schalkwyk
06-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Nice shot, Don! The air looks crispy clean, complemented by the mirror-smooth water surface & reflections. So far I've always been rewarded with something nice from +/- 0C morning shoots so it's always worth it...

Don Railton
06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks Tobie..! I agree, Early mornings are special always if you make the effort, hardest part is reminding yourself of that when you are snuggled up in bed....

Tobie Schalkwyk
06-18-2014, 12:06 AM
...hardest part is reminding yourself of that when you are snuggled up in bed....

Spot on... :t3

Kaushik Balakumar
06-18-2014, 03:21 AM
A fine composition of a lovely scene, Don.
Kudos...

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi Don - I haven't stuck my head in Landscapes in a while. Glad I decided to do so. This is one of your best for me. Nice colors, sharpness and comp. It all works. Congrats.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
06-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Thanks Kaushik, and thanks also Rachel... Glad you liked it.

Andrew McLachlan
06-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Hi Don, good choice to go back and re-shoot this image, cuz you nailed it perfectly :cheers: I would not change anything and the crop works quite nicely too!!!

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2014, 03:04 PM
You nailed this one proper, Don! :5 :cheers:
Only thing I would look at is a slight rotation CCW, feels like it's slanting to the right to my eyes (might be an illusion?).

Arthur Morris
06-23-2014, 03:59 AM
I love everything about this one Don. Your choice of perspective was perfect, the image design is right on, and SH and EXP are nailed. Way to go.

Don Railton
06-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi Andrew, Morkel and Artie... Thanks so much for the comments and encouragement it brings...

Regards
Don.