Pamela de Zilva
06-14-2014, 03:36 AM
A setup, on a very windy day.

Nikon D800E , 500mm F4 lens, Gitzo Tripod
Manual exp., F7.1, 1/500s, exp. comp. +.03, ISO 1100

Comments & critiques always welcome.

David Salem
06-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Beautiful bird and I love the blown out flanks and the calling pose. The BG is beautiful. The techs look good and I like the detail, but I think you can get a bit more detail from the blacks. Although I like it, I think the pine cone is too much for this image.
Well done.

arash_hazeghi
06-14-2014, 02:56 PM
The curved perch and pine fruit nicely balance this one. Excellent pose and a nice BG. The whites look a bit on the grey side and BG can use some NR.

TFS

Ian Wilson
06-14-2014, 05:52 PM
This is such an unusual capture with the wind blowing up his flanks and I can hear him calling - I like it very much. I think the blacks and whites are about right and the background is to my taste - I like to see some natural variation rather than a monotone. I suggest you look for a more appropriate perch using a native plant from your area such as a dry branch from a casuarina with a few fruits. Green vegetation would be OK but difficult to keep looking fresh in your situation and climate. I also suggest you experiment with your camera settings to get a bit more depth of field, maybe f/9 or f/10 and you could use some fill flash using high-speed sync or manual flash power (about 1/8 power). Regards, Ian

Marina Scarr
06-14-2014, 08:55 PM
What a unique image! Love the calling pose and wind-blown feathers. The bird pops against that green BG, which does need a bit of NR. One the one hand, I love this image as is and on the other, I feel the pine cone is a bit too powerful and detracts from your stunning bird. Altogether, I am leaning toward really liking this image. The curved branch is a plus as well.

Pamela de Zilva
06-14-2014, 09:50 PM
The curved perch and pine fruit nicely balance this one. Excellent pose and a nice BG. The whites look a bit on the grey side and BG can use some NR.

TFS
I've taken all the advice and decided to start from scratch. Hope the repost is an improvement

Pamela de Zilva
06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
This is such an unusual capture with the wind blowing up his flanks and I can hear him calling - I like it very much. I think the blacks and whites are about right and the background is to my taste - I like to see some natural variation rather than a monotone. I suggest you look for a more appropriate perch using a native plant from your area such as a dry branch from a casuarina with a few fruits. Green vegetation would be OK but difficult to keep looking fresh in your situation and climate. I also suggest you experiment with your camera settings to get a bit more depth of field, maybe f/9 or f/10 and you could use some fill flash using high-speed sync or manual flash power (about 1/8 power). Regards, Ian

Thanks Ian for your advice. The only reason I didn't push it to f9/or f10 was the noise factor. I promise you, you won't be seeing that pine cone again. This is all new to me and even trying to find the perfect perch is somewhat daunting.

Pamela de Zilva
06-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks to Marina and David for your comments. I too felt that the cone was a bit over powering but I don't have the PS skills to get rid of it.
Regards, Pamela

Ian Wilson
06-14-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ian for your advice. The only reason I didn't push it to f9/or f10 was the noise factor. I promise you, you won't be seeing that pine cone again. This is all new to me and even trying to find the perfect perch is somewhat daunting.

You are doing a jolly good job for someone new to the game! The reason I suggested some fill flash is so you can keep the ISO under control and hence the noise. It is best to use an off-camera flash or a flash bracket if you have one. Regards, Ian.

Pamela de Zilva
06-15-2014, 02:28 AM
You are doing a jolly good job for someone new to the game! The reason I suggested some fill flash is so you can keep the ISO under control and hence the noise. It is best to use an off-camera flash or a flash bracket if you have one. Regards, Ian.
Thanks for the tip Ian. I understand the logic. I shall get the flash bracket out of the box.

Karl Egressy
06-15-2014, 06:53 AM
Excellent calling pose with the blown feathers. The repost is an improvement.

Stu Bowie
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Hi Pamela, great angled pose with the raised head, and just love the wind swept plumage, almost symmetrical. Your repost has turned out well.

Satish Ranadive
06-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Excellent image. Very nicely exposed whites and grey.Very nice perch, BG and composition.Re post is absolutely superb.

Regards,
Satish.

arash_hazeghi
06-16-2014, 11:41 AM
I've taken all the advice and decided to start from scratch. Hope the repost is an improvement

BG looks good now

Joe Murphy
06-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Great image Pamela, love the windswept look & singing pose.