PDA

View Full Version : The early bird...

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Trying to pick spots where these guys feed can be time consuming and a lot of Lady luck too! This is just on the edge of a plough field where there is a section keep free before the hedgerow and close to the LO site, I'm lying in the ploughed field (with permission) using a bag blind. I'm hoping I will get one with these huge green caterpillars they love to forage for, but often they fly up to their next so it's a gain pot luck.

For me, it's so important to endeavour to get at eye level where possible, I guess something that was hammered home to me a long time ago by a very good friend.

I appreciate those who popped by & commented on the previous image, thanks.

Cheers
Steve

Subject: Little owl worming (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Uniqball head
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO800 slight crop
Original Format: Landscape

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
06-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Awesome image Steve, the eye level view really makes this image. The worm is a big bonus & adds interest. What was the FL used? Was it with the extender engaged? Looks look you are having fun with the 200-400 L & Uniqball! TFS.

David Salem
06-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Nice capture Steve. I like the head seen in the grass with the worm. I can see him hunting through it now. Techs look good as dose the detail. Well done.

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Was it with the extender engaged?

No it was Sanjeev, 467mm so within the standard 200-400 range. It's not as sharp as the fixed 500, but that is only to be expected.

Cheers David.

arash_hazeghi
06-14-2014, 02:23 PM
love the display of habitat and the food item. excellent details

Marina Scarr
06-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Great title and an even better image. This is a very special image. The grasses fall in just the right places.

Karl Egressy
06-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Excellent behavior shot, Steve. Who would have thought that Owls eat worms. (I didn't)

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Cheers Arash.

The grasses fall in just the right places.

Probably more luck than judgement Marina, especially on the timing of eating a worm with minimal grass over the head. :S3:

Karl you would be surprised what they eat, even going for small birds, this one had a right dinging with a blackbird a few weeks ago, not sure if the blackbird was defending the nest close by. One of the parents to this owl last year even took on a Kestrel, which was interesting. For a little bird that is only 8-10 ins high, they are very feisty.

Cheers
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Steve one of the best so far of your Owls , for me.
Love the POV and the worm is a really nice bonus, good work in capture and PP .

Very nice and well done , TFS Andreas :cheers: