PDA

View Full Version : Futile Nesting Attempt.

Karl Egressy
06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
I chose this image to portray the sad outcome of the nesting attempt of a Killdeer couple at the local Lake Conservation Area.
The first clutch had only one survival by the time I found them. Two days later this baby was gone too.
I witnessed the adults mating and laying new eggs.
Today I found the grass actually mostly weed mowed, one adult bird crushed flat as a pancake and the nest with the eggs was gone.
I talked to two persons who work there and showed them the result of their work.
They promised to not cut the weeds in this parking lot again and allowed me to put down stakes if the birds decided to nest again.
As it happens a new mate came and they were mating to give it one more chance third time in this season.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 5DM3
Canon 500 f4.0 II + 1.4x III.
ISO 400
1/1600 s
f7.1
Shot from car.

Grace Scalzo
06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Karl, your image is a lovely tribute to the deceased. Thanks to you, likely others will be saved. I am so proud of you and happy that the workers took heed. Please keep us posted on the third attempt.
As for your image, I have no criticism. It's colorful, sharp and sweet.

David Salem
06-12-2014, 12:25 AM
Cute little guy Karl and a nice job capturing it too. I like the detail and exposure in this one. Sorry that it's gone but hope they are able to have another clutch. Third time's a charm.

christopher galeski
06-12-2014, 02:51 AM
very nice Karl,some nice detail and light,a sad story,I hope it is third time lucky.

Ian Wilson
06-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Thanks for relating the sad story Karl - we live in hope. Happily, there is no problems with the image, it looks very good. I would be tempted to remove a little bit of the grass stem under the tail but no big deal, it is still a fine image. Cheers, Ian

gail bisson
06-12-2014, 05:24 AM
What a sad, sad story. At least the workers were responsive to your attempts to save the nest.
Love your image. Great POV and details on the chick. Not too sharp so that the soft fuzziness of the chicks' down shows well.
I would trim back the little grass under the chick's tail.
I hope you keep us posted on the outcome,
Gail

Binu John
06-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Excellent shot! Very sad story! I really like the colors, pose, POV, sharpness and BG! Thanks for sharing this beautiful shot and the story.