PDA

View Full Version : Utyf

Ed Vatza
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
That stands for "Unidentified Tiny Yellow Flower". I took a day off today so I had to get out even though the conditions were much less than ideal (winds to 25 mph). I had to seek out little corners that were somewhat protected from the wind. Even then I spent a heck of a lot more time waiting for a break in the winds than anything else.

This UTYF is very small (this is a 1:1 image) - maybe 1/2" to 5/8" across and grows very low at the sides of grass paths. Most are at grass level and few are maybe 4-5" tall at most. Any help with ID would be appreciated.

1/250 sec at f/22; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; FEC -2/3

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox Bracket-mounted and all handheld.

Robert O'Toole
05-19-2008, 07:30 PM
This image is reallty great Ed, sharp, BG is nice, off center comp is good and the DOF is about perfect for me. Super job.

This is one of your best yet Ed! Congrats!

Personally I would have the extra space to the left, since the flower is also facing to the left.

Robert

John Cooper
05-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Beautiful detail Ed and exposure for the yellow is spot on. Very nicely portrayed - agree with Robert that its one of your best!!!

Alfred Forns
05-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Agree with Robert !!! Firs thing I though was space to the opposite side !!! .... sure like the way you are naming them... Will be a big boom for my flower names !!!!! :)

Ed Vatza
05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. I really appreciate them. The original image was cropped a bit from the left primarily because I liked the the background to the right better. I went back and reworked it a bit cropping some from the right and leaving the left. Here is the result.

Dave Phillips
05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
verrrrry nice AND the bug inside is a bonus

much better crop

Mike Moats
05-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey Ed, very well done, and I would add a little more canvas on the left, or do a slight crop on the right, so its not so bulls-eyed.

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi Ed,
Nicely seen again! I'll go with Mike's recommendation also. Still sweet!!!