PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Orphan Works Act of 2008

Steve Wheeler
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
A good friend posted this on another forum... I thought I'd post it here as well.

I'm not a lawyer... nor am I a pro photographer (FAR from either), but this SEEMS like it could have some pretty chilling affects on sites like this in terms of willingness of it's participants to post thier work. Not to mention the implications of the bill in general.

Has anyone here heard of... looked into... or can otherwise shed some light on the subject?

How does this change or affect current copyright protection?

I understand even now, for an image to truly be copyright protected, it has to be registered. Dunno if that's true or not...

Steve

Forward
-----------------------------------------

It appears that the Orphan Works Bill removes any protection or recourse any artist, illustrator or photographer currently has to prevent copyright piracy. The passage of the bill means that any image online can be used by anyone for any purpose without basically (reasonable search) checking for ownership.

It also means that any personal images one has online can be used for any purpose, editorial or commerical without permission of the person or persons in the image.

Proponents of the bill are stating that a registration system will take care any unauthorized use of images.

For detailed information about the bill and it's history go to this site: Orphan Works Bill (http://www.publicknowledge.org/issues/ow)

You may also want to check here (http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/)

Steve Wheeler
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Hmmm... I thought this might generate some conversation....????

Robert Amoruso
05-20-2008, 01:39 PM
You would think so but the bill has been kicking around for a while and perhaps those here most interested in it have discussed it on other forums.

Steve Wheeler
05-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Ahhh... Makes sense.

Thanks Robert!

Guess I'm tryin' to play catch up... It would be interesting to understand what those in the know thought about this. Seems like it might really mess with (some) peoples desire to post to web sites such as this... or pBase.. SmugMug... Flickr... Fred Miranda... and so on and so forth.

Thanks again Robert!

Steve

JP Bruce
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Just read an email from NANPA about the topic. Seems the house bill is ok but the senate version leaves out a lot. Time to write the senators.