PDA

View Full Version : Leaves in Infrared

Jackie Schuknecht
06-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Did a lot of reading on IR this weekend, and the place were I had my camera converted has a ton of knowledge. (LifePixel) They stress the importance of getting a correct WB, which I think I did by hauling out my Expodisc. It really makes setting a custome WB a snap, and is much more accurate I think then just shooting a white piece of cardboard, which was what I had been doing. It was cool to see the blue veins and some of the tips of the leaves a bluish colour. The leaves turned out a peachy colour. About four or five texture layers added from Belle Fleur. f8/100 ISO, bracketed exposure, about 1/80s.

Kerry Perkins
06-08-2014, 11:25 PM
That's really pretty Jackie. I just love the "impossible" colors that come from IR conversions, it is so refreshing to see something different sometimes. The textures have added a look of parchment to the image. Very nice.

Nancy Bell
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Jackie, you're going to start a flood of old cameras heading for IR conversion! Very unique & interesting colors. Great composition and I love the patterns of the leaves filling the bkgd. I had to "google" expodisc.

Anita Bower
06-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Gorgeous soft colors. Nice range of tones which provide a layered look. Beautiful, graceful shapes. The only distractions are the light toned leaves along the top border. Otherwise, perfect.

LinzRiverBalmer
06-11-2014, 02:28 AM
never would have guessed this to be IR, nice job, super pretty almost looks like you could turn it into a cuddly fleece blanket, not a bad idea.... just beautiful all around.

Diane Miller
06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Beautiful and different, Jackie! I've tried several things for white balance and not been delighted with any of them. (But don't have an ExpoDisc.) I usually convert to B/W and white balance doesn't seem to make much difference there. Need to revisit it. I think LifePixel has a new website -- need o check it out, too.

Look forward to your further explorations!

Good idea, I think, to tone down the leaves at the very top.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the comments, I will work on those lighter toned leaves.

Catherine Costolo
06-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Jackie, I too recently had a camera converted to infrared at LifePixel and I have been watching videos on Youtube and reading the info on the LifePixel website. I created a custom white balance by photographing green grass and that seems to work.
I love your photo and love what the textures did.
I will post one of my photos as soon as I figure out how to do it.