PDA

View Full Version : Clematis

Diane Miller
06-08-2014, 04:18 PM
I spent a very enjoyable hour or so yesterday, browsing through the wonderful recent images here. I had no intention of doing my quota of comments for a post, but got carried away with delight and left 5-6 comments anyway. Then I figured, maybe I'd better put up or shut up. So I went dredging and came up with a really old one that might barely suffice. I wish the BG was not so busy but soon after I shot this there was a rustle at my feet (I was standing in a bed of ivy) and a sprinkler head came up and started (slowly at first) sprinkling. I was able to lift the tripod straight up and tiptoe out to safely.

Canon 20D (remember those?), 70-200 f/2.8 at 115 mm, ISO 800, f/9.5. The darkest tones in the BG are darker than I prefer -- I reworked it today from the raw file, in LR5, but should do a little more tweaking. I had exposed to try to get the most detail in the white flower, which I was pleased with. (It was in open shade.) Did some dodge and burn stuff and a little cleanup in PS CS6, all on the BG. The detail in the flower all came from the Develop sliders in LR5.

John Robinson
06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Very nice Diane
I don't understand half of your PP thingies but never mind ! The datail in the whites is great and I like the dark anthers conrasting with the whites. That front petal could maybe stand a bit of USM - or maybe its just not there.
Nice anyway
John

Jonathan Ashton
06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I think the flower head is nicely isolated, the backgrounds for this plant are always busy but in this case I do not find it obtrusive. I used to have a 20D and I was very pleased with it too, in fact it is still going strong - I gave it to one of my sons.
I use CS6 are the Develop sliders akin to Clarity and Vibrance?

Diane Miller
06-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks, guys!

Adobe Camera Raw, which accompanies CS6 but is a separate program, is the same "development" engine as in LR5. I use "develop" as a generic term for the various RAW processing sliders. 95% of the time I don't go beyond the Basic panel (tab, for ACR).