PDA

View Full Version : Redstart

John Robinson
06-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Restart.
I have posted this for some views on backgrounds. I have said many times that I prefer a little bit of something to convey a kind of sense of being somewhere.
With this bird there was only one position for the hide, and it gave this plain background which is of Oak trees at some distance away. So I had no choice. WDYT ?
To me the bird looks kind of "pasted " if you know what I nean. The settings were needed to stop tail flick. White on head a constant pain with these birds but just about held it I think.
Nikon
D200 640 ISO
250th @f9
50-500mm Sigma
Hide /Tripod
70% of frame
Neat Image/Image Guru
PP In Paint Shop Pro 7
Thanks for looking and comments on last pic.
Cheers
JohnR

gail bisson
06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Now, this is NICE! I am a lover of clean BG so I am really enjoying this.
The bird looks great and the light is very nice.
With this nice BG, the viewer really looks at the bird with no distractions.
Love the curled foot and the wasp and caterpillar in the beak.
My only issue is that it either has a tad too much sharpening or contrast,
Gail

John Robinson
06-07-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi Gail
No extra shapening except after downsizing and I do it the same every time. It does look a bit contrasty though I'll drop it a
bit.
Thanks#
John
Any better- could have gone a bit more maybe ?

gail bisson
06-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Better!

Bill Dix
06-07-2014, 07:19 PM
John, I know how you dislike clean backgrounds, but this one really works for me. Lovely pose, colors, prey, AND background. Nicely done. Repost is better.

Enrique Patino
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Great image. The thing with backgrounds is, I think, a case by case thing. And the same goes for BGs that include a sense of place. What works does and what doesn't work doesn't, I guess is one way to put it. Brights look good. Repost looks better.

John Robinson
06-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Enrique
A good bit of reasoning there I think. I have just realised I use printed backgrounds for my macro aquatic shots but have never used artificial ones for birds . I suppose you could say "whats the difference "???
Food for thought. I dont have a problem with my pool stuff which looks natural- its just the birds on perches.
Cheers
John

Allen Sparks
06-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Hi John,

Background looks good to me and I like clean backgrounds to begin with. Repost is an improvement. well done.

Allen

christopher galeski
06-08-2014, 05:30 AM
nice one John,like the BG pose and perch,nice detail,food item's a bonus,repost is better.

Satish Ranadive
06-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Spectacular image of beautiful bird. I like the nice BG.
Love the pose, colors. nice details and the way it pops up against BG.
Sharpness issue nicely addressed in re post.

Regards,
Satish.

William Dickson
06-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Nice one John, :S3: We seen 4 of these birds on the Cairngorm trip, but coudny get near them. Well done

John Robinson
06-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks all. Put a hide up on one today. Never tire of them
Cheers
JohnR

robinlee
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Nice one John, daddy Redstart bring home food for the kids :)

Marina Scarr
06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Lovely image. I like the prey and the pose of the bird's right little talons! Light and BG terrific!

John Robinson
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Thanks
Well I've leant something
Generally folks like uncluttered plain backgrounds. It obviously depends on the individual situations. I shall have to change my ways or post what I like !
Interesting dilemma if you post on a critique forum.!!
Thanks for your input. Appreciated.
JohnR

David Salem
06-09-2014, 11:55 PM
You know my thoughts on this one John. It's fantastic!! One of your best posts. Not only because of the smooth beautiful BG, but the subject is so colorful and the prey in the beak really adds to this one.
If shot in camera, BGs like this are very desirable as you can see by the response. A little of both can be good for your portfolio :)

Pamela de Zilva
06-10-2014, 04:45 AM
John, I am very much in favour of the clean background. My eye is immediately drawn to the bird. Great pose and I like the prey in it's beak. Well done. Pamela

Binu John
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Beautiful shot, John! I really like the pose, perch and the BG! TFS

John Robinson
06-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks again.
I will be doing one from the hide the rest of this week so I,ll check the background before I start, !!
Cheers
JohnR

John Robinson
06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Regarding the comment above. Went to set up and the nest predated . Thats two redstarts this year got to the young in nest stage and then predated. I think its greater spotted woodpeckers.
JohnR