PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Warbler

Bill Dix
06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
This has been one of my nemesis warblers. This year I have found several spots in the woods where I can reliably hear them, but that doesn't mean I can always see them, much less get a shot. With audio I finally coaxed this guy into view last week, but it was in a dark patch, thus the settings. It seems to have a somewhat flat look that I don't know how to mitigate, but it's my first image of the species. Any suggestions would be welcome. (I know, go back and get him in better light. :S3:)

D7000, 700mm, ISO 2500, 1/80s @ f/7.1 manual, fill flash @ -1.7 EV.

John Robinson
06-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Looks OK to me Bill and I like the blurred detail in the background. A very minor nit would be the thickness of the perch but you cant help that. No big deal. Looks a grandlittle chap too.
JohnR

Dan Brown
06-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Nice image of your nemesis, Bill. I can see the effects of the high iso but you have handled it well. All that I might suggest is that you smooth the noise a little more in the belly area. Do you use Capture NX2 for your converter? If not, you might consider open the raw in nx2 and using the noise reduction tools, then move on to ps or whatever you are using for pp. I have had good results with the high iso's using nx2 in this way.

Bill Dix
06-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Nice image of your nemesis, Bill. I can see the effects of the high iso but you have handled it well. All that I might suggest is that you smooth the noise a little more in the belly area. Do you use Capture NX2 for your converter? If not, you might consider open the raw in nx2 and using the noise reduction tools, then move on to ps or whatever you are using for pp. I have had good results with the high iso's using nx2 in this way.

Thanks Dan. Yes, I do use NX2, and I find it works well, although I'm somewhat conservative about reducing noise on the subject. In this case I think I was trying to find that sweet spot between noise and detail, fearing I'd lose what little detail there was in the belly if I pushed it further. But I suspect that when I sharpened the reduced file it brought out a little too much noise.

gail bisson
06-07-2014, 02:05 PM
A great warbler image to have for your files.
I agree with you that the IQ just isn't up to your usual standards due to lighting conditions, the slow SS and the yellow colors which are like reds in that they have to be exposed for perfectly.
But I think you did very well with your PP.
So yes...GET BACK OUT THERE and do it all over again:bg3:

Bill Dix
06-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Well, I've been back out, and haven't gotten the Hooded to cooperate. I did work on the colors of this one, and I think this repost is an improvement. I think I've reduced, but not eliminated, the noise. And taken some of the green out of both bird and background. Still, I need to get a better image of him, one day. Thank you all for your comments.