PDA

View Full Version : THEME: CENTERED GREATER SAGE GROUSE

gary ellwein
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I'll get some more mileage out of a couple mornings on a Sage Grouse lek. Topaz Simplify BuzSim

Nancy Bell
06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Gary, do you want me to add "theme" to this? I love this head-on view of the displaying grouse and that wonderful symmetry of the tail feathers! Lovely blurred background with the browns and greens. I'm thinking about the vignette. I like that it repeats the pattern of the white neck and breast feathers and frame the whole bird as the white feathers frame the head of the bird. But on my monitor the whites are nearly glowing and are a bit distracting. Would prefer them to be like the whites of the feathers. Another approach would be not to have the vignette. I think the grouse commands more visual attention without it. What lek were you at and in what state?

Kerry Perkins
06-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Hi Gary, I love the symmetry of the image and the stare-down look from the grouse. I agree on toning down the vignette a bit, perhaps you could pick the color from somewhere on the bird? I would love to have a chance to photograph these birds!

Arthur Morris
06-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Hey Gary, I love, love, love the bird. I am not a fan of the light vignette. I do believe that the image needs to be rotated a bit CCW, probably a bit more than I think. Click-draw a box around the face and open the Ruler Tool. Draw a line that goes through the center of each pupil. Hit IMAGE > ROTATE > ARBITRARY and hit OK. Let me know how degrees if any. Love to you and Lynn.

Judy Howle
06-07-2014, 11:43 AM
I like the composition and the intent stare of the grouse. The almost symmetrical tail feathers really make the photo! I agree about the vignette, it's so bright it hurts my eyes. You might try the oval vignette tool in Lightroom or Photoshop CC Raw Converter to create a toned-down vignette. Or as suggested, remove it altogether.

gary ellwein
06-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks to all for the look and comments. The vignette was included in one of the BuzSim presets. In the early AM hours it looked OK. In the light of morning after a good nights sleep, I concur with the group's assessment. Nancy, I would like this as a theme image. The lek is in SE Idaho near the small town of Dubois. I'll post an image of the area later. I wanted to capture the subdued light of the morning. This group of 35-40 males use a big corral as their lek. Cow pies are in all images. The corral is used primarily in the fall when cattle are brought off the open range. Artie, you were on the money relative to a few degrees of CCW rotation. Lynn and I are well. Thanks foe asking. Our love to Denise.

Nancy Bell
06-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes, I like it very much without the vignette. And thanks for the lek info. Lots of grouse here in Colo but access to leks is very difficult.

Anita Bower
06-08-2014, 05:03 AM
This image brought a big smile to my face. :S3:
Congratulations on win for the theme.
Love the expression on the bird's face.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Fierce looking bird! Love the head on stare, and those tail feathers, quite the display!

gary ellwein
06-09-2014, 02:04 AM
I captured this image upon returning to my truck. The lek is just to the left of the small building.