PDA

View Full Version : Flamming Fungus

John Cooper
05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Clavulinopsis amoena is more commonly known as flame fungi for obvious reasons ;)
One of the first species to appear early autumn following rainfall.

Canon EOS 5, Canon 100mm macro, Dark rainforest conditions - flash x2, F22, Tripod.

Julie Kenward
05-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow! There's not a thing I'd change about this one. Beatiful color and textures. Nice composition and DOF. Great lighting. I'd love to see that fungus in person some time - definitely has that "cool" factor.

Robert O'Toole
05-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Excellent John what an intesting and unusual subject. The habitat details are great also.

There is a subtle haze or flare in the image, wonder if curves would help with this?

Robert

Robert O'Toole
05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
A quick curves application and the haze is all gone, image looks even better!

Considering that I am usually the only person that can see most image issues in the forum, I posted a side by side so people will not think I am crazy :)

Robert

John Cooper
05-19-2008, 08:51 PM
A quick curves application and the haze is all gone, image looks even better!

Considering that I am usually the only person that can see most image issues in the forum, I posted a side by side so people will not think I am crazy :)

Robert

Thanks Robert - yes the 'haze' in this image often appears in my images where a light (White) or bright subject is set against dark BG areas. It only seems to appear on film stock that is scannned (Nikon coolscan V).
It appears to me that the bright pixels are 'bleeding' into surrounding darker pixels. Does that make sense :confused:

Your repost has improved the problem here (S curve I guess) but it now appears a little too contrasty.

Alfred Forns
05-20-2008, 08:03 AM
One good looking fungus John !!!! Good call Robert !!! Like the re post better but interesting the original is still appealing. Probably has to do with the subject !!!

Mike Moats
05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey John, a very cool and colorful subject. I like you DOF, and good job Robert on the repost

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi John,
Sure does live up to it's nickname. Robert's re-post did make the image pop more........but I'll side with you on this one......maybe a tad too much. Worth investigating. You've got a great eye!

David Steele
05-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Many good comments so nothing much to add other than that I like the image! I agree that the repost is good but a little too contrasty/saturated.