PDA

View Full Version : 1DX

Jonathan Ashton
06-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Could any one offer any advice please regarding presharpening in either DPP or ACR. Do full frame cameras (in this case 1DX) in general require more or is it the converse?
Thank you

Steve Kaluski
06-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Hi Jon, still away, but I'm not too clear what you are asking here, as all RAW images irrespective of camera body can, if you so wish, have some pre sharpening applied within your RAW conversion prior to further PP work (personal preference), this is obviously additional to your final sharpening for the end use, i.e. web, print, magazine....

Jonathan Ashton
06-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Steve thanks for replying, sorry I am being a little less than clear, the question is this:
I have always used cropped frame cameras i.e 20D 50D and 7D and the presharpen setting in ACR I generallly use is in the region of 25-50 depending upon subject and light, most commonly it is around 40. If I use DPP I use a setting of 3.
Now I have switched to a 1DX so as a general rule of thumb I suspect the sharpening requirements will be different as the pixels are a significantly different size so:
A) in DPP for example should I leave it in the region of 3 or increase/decrease
and
B) in ACR is the requirement likely to be less or more than my default 40 setting.
I am just trying to gauge if I require a different starting point.

Steve Kaluski
06-07-2014, 05:58 AM
OK Jon, as I don't use DPP I can't really say, for me each image may require different values, but I will adjust all four settings if I am pre sharpening to get an even balance, if that make sense. What I would say is, read the manual with this body! :w3

Jonathan Ashton
06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Read it - twice!:w3

BobbyPerkins
06-07-2014, 05:13 PM
As far as DPP and "in-camera", if your shooting RAW it doesn't matter your just sharpening for taste in the LCD preview for the Jpeg. It's not actually sharpening the RAW file through post production. By the way congrats on the sweet new camera upgrade.

Jonathan Ashton
06-07-2014, 06:06 PM
As far as DPP and "in-camera", if your shooting RAW it doesn't matter your just sharpening for taste in the LCD preview for the Jpeg. It's not actually sharpening the RAW file through post production. By the way congrats on the sweet new camera upgrade.
Thanks Bobby, I appreciate it is for RAW vs jpeg my concern was purely which way I was likely to be leaning - i.e. more or less sharpening, at the moment I am leaning toward the standard 25 setting in ACR and taking it from there.

Don Lacy
06-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Jonathan, Most cameras will need some capture sharpening applied during the Raw conversion this is irrelevant to the sensor size the strength of the AA filter plays the biggest role in the amount of capture sharpening needed. The default settings in ACR are a good starting point and I would guess the same for DPP.

Andreas Liedmann
06-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Hi Jonathan i think it is a matter of preferences and there is no right or wrong at least for me .I always use pre sharpening in the Converter . But there are folks who just sharpen in PS , i.e. creative sharpening plus the final output sharpening.
And you will find different opinions about this all over the place and all of them are finding reasons for their way when you ask why ………..they work their way. So best would be find your own :t3.

And Steve regarding reading the manual , is with all respect useless , because the manual is not explaining how to handle the files . And specially not how to handle the RAW in other converters than DPP .

Cheers Andreas

Neil Burton
06-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Not sure you can put a value on it, I find with the 5DIII it varies depending on the ISO I was shooting at. Of course then it depends on contrast, shadow pulling etc too. As a rule at lets say ISO400-800 my sharpening would be 30-50 and my Details would be upto 40 or so. Masking I shy away from when shooting higher ISO as I do not like the edges of my subject getting fuzzy noisy. Always do my masking in PS and then end sharpening depending on size.

Jonathan Ashton
06-10-2014, 07:28 AM
Thanks Neil. Seems to me just suck it and see, the values will depend upon circumstances more than they do upon pixel size or sensor/crop.