PDA

View Full Version : Flash Bracket

Simon Wantling
06-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi all,

could you please advise me. I'm just getting into using fill flash for my bird photography and having some good success. I'm using the Canon 600 ex-rt and I've just purchased a better beamer to use with he flash. My gimbal setup is the Benro GH2 gimbal which I'm very happy with so I would like some advise as to what flash bracket you would recommend with my setup. The lens is a 500mm with the 5D mkiii.

could you advise on the best bracket to use. I live in the UK so hopefully they will be available here.

thanks

simon

Diane Miller
06-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Is there a bracket designed for that head? That would probably be the best way to go.

Or consider an off-camera flash setup. It lets you get more modeling from the light by moving it 30-45 degrees off-axis, and therefore the ability to use it as main light (for birds in the shade) as well as fill. (On-camera flash is too flat when used as main light.) Most of my "setup" bird shots (attracted to staging perches near feeders on our deck) are lighted that way. I put the flash on a studio light stand, and the off-camera cord is longer than I would ever need -- 25 ft I think. If the perch is in full sun but shadows are an issue, I just move the light stand next to the camera and use it as fill light.

BobbyPerkins
06-07-2014, 01:27 AM
I would recommend a Wimberley F-1 bracket, it's modular and height adjustable with the extension. Problem with the Benro head is (that I know of), is there's no "Benro" flash bracket to mount direct to the head. So you most likely need a bracket that mounts to the lens plate, like the Wimberley F-1 kit. This may or may not effect the ability to balance your rig on the gimbal without a longer lens plate. But it also can have some advantages like a ground pod, beanbag or handheld. Diane's suggestions are good too but not I don't think Benro has the bracket and light stands are not practical in the field. Ther's other options from Jobu, Custom Brackets and RRS but the F-1 will suit well even if you get another Gimbal later or use a ball head, ect. It's versatile.