PDA

View Full Version : Theme Two big Italian Salami in the cold

Andreas Liedmann
06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi folks actually not sure if this qualifies for the theme ?

I give it a try ….. took this image of the seal puppies on South Georgia Island in Right Whale Bay.

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 24-105 IS L at 35 mm
Handheld

F 8 ; ISO 1600 ; 1/ 1250 sec ; should have gone lower with Iso and slower with SS and F16 , afterwards easy to say :t3.

Slight crop for rotation , processed in Photo Ninja and PS CC

Thanks for watching , C&C welcome

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Nice close view here, Andreas. Overall colour looks good - and I can appreciate that there's a lot of white in these scenes.
Perhaps it needs a hint of shadow recovery on the seals? The RHS one looks like he's had a hard night's drinking!
I would crop to pano from the top??

Steve Kaluski
06-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Hi Andreas, still away so can't comment too much on the 'detail', but initially looks good, but will run with Morkel's thoughts. I like it as presented and see no reason why it would not fit the theme. The snow capped mountains and penguins in the BKG are great, conveys the setting well.

TFS
Steve

Nancy Bell
06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Got a huge laugh with your "salami" title!! Good composition with the 3 layers, foreground "salamis", mid- layer near hills, and distant white mountain. Thinking about Morkel's crop suggestion, maybe crop the mountain by half. That still leaves 3 nice layers and puts more emphasis on the seals.

Gabriela Plesea
06-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Hello Andreas:wave:

I got hungry when I read the title, dashed to the kitchen and made myself a salami sandwich so I could sit down and view properly:bg3: Love your sense of humour and the title is very appropriate, this works for me and I really enjoyed viewing, lovely perspective with the penguin population milling about and I cannot help but smile seeing this almost flirtatious pose from the two seals-so well captured!

I think the techs are great, I like the colour of the seals' fur - that soft brown, I imagine it is almost like fluff as they are still pups?

Great animalscape, Andreas!

Brendon Cremer
06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Great scene and lovely setting, can't comment too much on colour as I am the laptop at the moment, detail looks good. Although I like the snow caped mountains in the scene, I would be interested to see a pano style crop as morkel mentioned.

Andreas Liedmann
06-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks all for watching and sharing your thoughts.

Followed your suggestions by pano crop and more shadow detail in the Salamis……...

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
06-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Hi Andreas - rp does it for me. Nice animalscape with winter colors and feel. I might take a sliver off the rhs just to place the seals a bit more off center.

TFS,
Rachel