PDA

View Full Version : Looking down on life.

Marc Mol
06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
From an amazing experience with a sub-adult cheetah from a recent trip to Ndutu- Nth Tanzania. The young male was staring straight down at us from the open roof.

More detail here from a blog post Behind the shot (http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/blog/behind-the-shot/2014/05/behind-the-shot-close-encounters-a-series-by-marc-mol-serengeti-national-park-northern-tanzania-east-africa.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OPeNewsApril_050614#.U5CfXCgVf3b) on Outdoor Photographer.

Nikon D700 24-70f/2.8 1/1000s f/7 ISO200@ 24mm (Yes 24mm :Whoa!:)

Cheers
Marc

Andre Pretorius
06-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Hi Marc

DOF works very well, cheetah very crisp and all in focus.

In an ideal world would like the feet, but it is SO close. Comp is for the head and eyes.

Belly index very low, presume this boy was hungry?!

Pupils have a strange shape, but I have never looked a cheetah in the eyes from underneath..

A moment you will never forget, I presume..

Loved your story on OP..

TFS

Andre

Marc Mol
06-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks Andre

In an ideal world would like the feet, but it is SO close. Comp is for the head and eyes.

Yes, very close indeed Andre, the vehicle frame was just below him and preferred not to include it in this image as was F/F.

Andreas Liedmann
06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Hi Marc
great perspective and somehow unique i think . I like the curved body and the overall detail, contrast and tones . Colors are basically ok to me , but you have a slight cyan cast across the image , if it was mine it would correct that.

TFS Andreas

Marc Mol
06-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks Andreas, appreciate the comments.

but you have a slight cyan cast across the image , if it was mine it would correct that.

TFS Andreas

Having processed this image a while ago and have gotten to know it quite well, I'm at a loss as to how you see any cyan creeping into this image, wondering how you arrived at that conclusion? Perhaps it simply that slight that I'm failing to see it??
Otherwise I need to get ALL 3 of my monitors re-calibrated.

Tobie Schalkwyk
06-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Well, if there ever was a unique POV...:w3 !

Fantastic photo Marc and you're only one of a few in the world to have seen a cheetah from such a viewpoint. So 'unreal' it borders on an artistic shot - well done! :5

Brendon Cremer
06-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Lovely image Mark. Agree your, decision not to include the vehicle was a good one and although i dont really have an issue with the comp and cut off legs in this one i would really like to see one with less amputation and maybe closer up if you have any:S3:? I too dont see much Cayan in the image i do however think the sky could be a little more blue thanks it is currently. Otherwise great detail and well exposed.

Andreas Liedmann
06-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Hi Marc it was just a initial feeling even looking at the thumbnail.
I did not say it is a strong cast , just a slight one , and as always colors are subjective specially when it is just a small amount that is not "correct" ……….

I took the image into PS and measured the important colors like the blues /yellows /reds with the eyedropper set to LAB mode (that is how i measure my colors ) and all the readings for this colors are on the "cool" side of the color spectrum regarding these colors, so i decided to share my thoughts with you ……..
Take my view or leave it as is , it is yours , and i just only wanted to "help" , i repeat all personal . I do not think you need to recalibrate your system :w3, as long as you like the colors in your images you are good to go , most important i think.

Hope this helped how i got the idea that there is a slight cast

Regards Andreas

Marc Mol
06-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Hi Marc it was just a initial feeling even looking at the thumbnail.
I did not say it is a strong cast , just a slight one , and as always colors are subjective specially when it is just a small amount that is not "correct" ……….

I took the image into PS and measured the important colors like the blues /yellows /reds with the eyedropper set to LAB mode (that is how i measure my colors ) and all the readings for this colors are on the "cool" side of the color spectrum regarding these colors, so i decided to share my thoughts with you ……..
Take my view or leave it as is , it is yours , and i just only wanted to "help" , i repeat all personal . I do not think you need to recalibrate your system :w3, as long as you like the colors in your images you are good to go , most important i think.

Hope this helped how i got the idea that there is a slight cast

Regards Andreas

Thanks Andreas

I do appreciate the advice, :w3
it was just that this image has been shared & posted in a lot of other wildlife/nature forums and plenty of comments positive & negative, but yours was the only one that had mentioned the colour cast. Hence my questioning it.

Andreas Liedmann
06-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi Marc i also visit different photo forums from time to time , but none of them are that detailed with critique about technical stuff like we are here. Very seldom one get that kind of suggestions about color/contrast/detail issues and how to improve with RPīs for illustration in all the other forums i visited .
Mainly you get the nice image blabla , my experience ………. :w3. And exactly that is my reason to be a part in here and not somewhere else :5.

But i like to learn , and you can send me via PM the other forums where i can have a look ……

Cheers Andreas

Marc Mol
06-06-2014, 04:16 PM
And exactly that is my reason to be a part in here and not somewhere else

I'm part here and a little bit somewhere else, never limit yourself too much Andreas. :cheers:
The other forums I do visit are certainly not "good shot, nice image" types either, ......enough said.:w3

Nancy Bell
06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Holy moly...what an amazing experience!! Certainly an image with a unique point of view. It is almost surreal with the seemingly large head and the curved thin body. A bkgd of sky is perfect. Crystal clear details.

Morkel Erasmus
06-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Awesome perspective indeed, and lighting/exposure well handled Marc. I like how the wide angle distortion actually accentuates the lean body by making the head bigger and body thinner.

Marc Mol
06-07-2014, 07:58 AM
I like how the wide angle distortion actually accentuates the lean body by making the head bigger and body thinner.

Very good point here Morkel, as he wasn't as skinny as the 24mm makes out.:w3 Plus, together with mum they made a successful kill shortly after.:bg3:

BenBotha
06-07-2014, 02:31 PM
I agree with not including the vehicle. I do not see a colour cast. Great sharpness and perspective.
Ben

Carl Walker
06-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Different perspective and an encounter you are bound never to forget. Good detail and light well captured. This image brought me back to my time spent working with wildlife guides in the Serengetti. Whilst working there I was asked to to write a paper to provide my point of as to why the cats would jump on to vehicles, sightings and the safety aspect of this behavioural pattern that had increased in frequency over the years:S3:.