PDA

View Full Version : Fiordland crested penguin (Eudyptes pachyrhynchus)

Joe Galkowski
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/FYelCrestPengS_zpsc2f0bdda.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/JJohn_photos/media/FYelCrestPengS_zpsc2f0bdda.jpg.html)

I thought, that for my first posted image I would share something that not many folks have seen. I did New Zealand's Hollyford Track with my family about 6 months ago. I knew there was a chance to see Fiordland Yellow Crested Penguins on the second day of the walk. Unfortunately, it was very dark and overcast that afternoon, which can be typical for the place. Luckily, there was a pair of penguins to see. One had its back to me partially hidden behind a rock and this guy who posed fairly nicely. Hope you like it. Not my best photograph technically, but one of my favorite memories and birds.

D7100, 300mm f4, 1/500 sec at f4, ISO 500, camera supported on backpack beanbag-style.

Darkened a couple bright spots on the rock, lightened the eye just a touch, but not much else.

Stu Bowie
06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Hi Joe, a big welcome to BPN from me, and hope you enjoy the ride. Well exposed on this fellow, as penquins are difficult at the best of times, so maybe the overcast conditions were in your favour, especially for the whites. I like the look back pose, and he sort of looks pretty cross - maybe its those extended 'eyebrows' :w3. Focus nailed in the right area, and nicely separated from the rock BG.

gail bisson
06-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Welcome to BPN!
I like your first post.
Good exposure and details shown.
A few suggestions from me:
I would like a bit more room on the LHS. It feels a bit tight near the tail.
A lower shooting POV would have been nice as well but I still like this.
I have never seen this bird in real life but I wonder if a little bit more saturation might make this pop a bit more.
Gail

Joe Galkowski
06-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Good points Gail. This was one of the those extremely limited views of the bird. I was laying prone on a rock shooting from the only spot I could get an unobstructed view. The ranger-type there was strict and I appreciate her sense of protecting these birds. I would have loved to simply wait until I had a better shooting angle and BG. All that said, it was a great time and a chance to shoot a bird I had never seen in the wild.

You are right I could increase the yellow saturation a touch and still have those eyebrows match reality. This is pretty much just out of the camera. Thanks!

repost:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n299/JJohn_photos/FiordCrestPengS_zps17b54ac9.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/JJohn_photos/media/FiordCrestPengS_zps17b54ac9.jpg.html)

Daniel Cadieux
06-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Very nice first picture post here on BPN! Thanks for introducing us to this species. I love the studio-like pose with a neat head turn, and the rocky habitat is perfect. You could have pointed your lens a wee bit more to the left for the composition. Love the sharpness as posted, and your techs are spot on.

Hope to see more from you!

Joe Galkowski
06-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Daniel, Gail, Stuart,

Thank you for the suggestions, comments, and kind words.

Binu John
06-06-2014, 12:35 AM
Very nice first post, Joe! It's sharp and the exposure is spot on and I really like the composition! Well done!

arash_hazeghi
06-06-2014, 12:43 AM
nice pose, details and exposure. It's a very unique specie. I like the idea of a lower POV if possible ( so that you are level with the penguin)

Karl Egressy
06-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Such a great looking bird! Excellent capture Stuart.

christopher galeski
06-07-2014, 03:16 AM
nice capture,nice pose,like the rocky environment,lower pov would make this image better,but stil like as is.

Joe Galkowski
06-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the kind words Binu, Arash, Christopher, and Karl. Yes, I agree with the "getting eye level", suggestion. It wasn't possible here. I was laying on top of a boulder and not allowed to step down onto the beach. Although the two birds we saw seemed cmpletely comfortable, the guide followed strict rules. Still a great experience that I will never forget.

John Robinson
06-07-2014, 05:11 PM
Great Intro post Joe.
Like the way its framed with the dark backdrop.
Good one.
JohnR