PDA

View Full Version : kayak recommendations for bird photography

Lorant Voros
06-05-2014, 06:04 AM
Hi guys. I wonder if there are some suggestions what kayak to get for bird photography. I live in Yucatan, Mexico. Fishing kayaks are available on the market. Any suggestion and pictures of your set up? Thanks.

BobbyPerkins
06-06-2014, 03:44 AM
I know there are a few here that shoot from a kayak and can speak from more experience.
Lots of options and styles to choose from, I think it also depends on what kind of waters you'll be shooting in the most. I know alot of photographers are using hybrid kayaks like the Native Watercaft Ultimate kayak. http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=5

I'm planning to get a NuCanoe kayak as it has a squared off bow for an electric trolling motor setup (something I don't see with kayaks with out modifications), and nice seating options, 360 degree seats to face the action and a nice wide, stable platform, even a standing bar. I plan to set it up for the wetlands, canoe trails and backwaters of the Upper Mississippi.

Here's the link to NuCanoe, I plan to get the Frontier 12
http://www.nucanoe.com/

Lorant Voros
06-06-2014, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'd be using the kayak on salt water mangrove "lagunas".
I found both of these canoes you mentioned during my research. They both look great and perfect for the photography, but non of them are sold in Mexico. I was wondering if anyone uses sit on top kayaks such as the Cuda 12 or 14 from jacksonkayaks...these are sold in Mexico as well.
Cheers,

Lorant

Grady Weed
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
I use an "Old Town" canoe, made right here in Old Town Maine, about 3 hours from me. Mine is the Predator model. It is about 14 feet long and 36 inches wide, camo painted, from the factory, it sits low in the water, just right for imaging loons. I am 6ft6, 290 pounds and it fits me well. I put in lakes ponds etc. I paddle right over to the loons, scrunch down low and click away. I use my Canon MK2n or the 5D with my 300 2.8. I use a towel on my lap to dry off splashes or to cushion the camera lens combo while paddling. I don't have a picture of my set up at present but might late this month as the season for loons is ramping up. The babies will be born around July 4-10 in my area. You might contact Randy Stout, a moderator here on BPN in the Avian forum. He use a kayak for loons as well. He has lots of experience and takes fantastic images of loons too, all from his kayak! Randy here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php/3391-Randy-Stout

BobbyPerkins
06-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for sharing Grady. 6ft6 wow, your a big dude. Curious if you use any type of dry bags for your gear or case, bag in the vessel? Do you shoot entirely handheld or ever opt for a tripod. I think also part of the kayaking photography for me will be more about transportation to otherwise impossible places to get to, where I may get out and set up for a long session. Also in wetlands possibly parking it alot or anchoring in areas wedges in cattail mounds to hide, but the kayak let's you get way out there where the birds are to find that nice hiding spot. Do you do this often as well. Thanks for Randy's link as well, you both have fantastic images!

Grady Weed
06-17-2014, 02:35 PM
In answer to the above; I do not use a dry bag, but I do keep my Tamrac 10 in the Kayak with the rest of my gear. I shoot handheld about 90% of the time, my Wimberley head and Gitzo tripod is available but have had in the water only about a dozen times in the 5 or so years I've had it. I have Kayaked or Canoed over to wetlands and hard to reach places, then got out in waste to chest deep water to wait for loons to image. But most of my time in the Kayak is in the Kayak. Some here might scoff at no bag for the camera, but if you drop it in the water...well at least I had fun doing it. I am extra careful however. When I think I might be out all day, over 4 or 5 hours, I use my square stern 14ft canoe, lots of drinking water, food etc. It is my favorite pastime.

Steve Uffman
06-23-2014, 08:00 PM
I own a mad river canoe, a go devil, pirogue and more but just researched this same issue and found the Native Ultimate 15 FX to be the ticket. I have two...very sturdy, tripod sets up inside, great seat and you can get very low for even better low angle shots...big pelican case that will hold a 600mm and more fits perfectly behind the seat...the seat slides forward by shifting you weight so getting access to my camera bag and tripod in the stern is easy......paddles true and effortlessly...no need for rudder IMO with the tunnel hull design.....proof of this solution is the Lafayette Photographic society where many own Native Ultimates that they use exclusively for photography in Lake Martin and the Atchafalaya Basin......btw I am 62 and love the boat....put it on my Sequioia using a Yakima roof rack with the lifter option....

BobbyPerkins
06-23-2014, 08:55 PM
The Native 15 FX is a sweet upgrade to the their Ultimate. I especially like the tandem for it's versatility and the high/low seats. Thanks for posting the update and makes my decision a little more difficult.
I still think (for me), the NuCanoe Frontier 12 is ideal. I definitely want the option of an electric trolling motor (simple on or off), and I like the 360 seats as I said to face the action. The modular options of the track mounting your seats or seating options and accessories are endless. There's also a duck blind option, for wetlands and backwater pools I think it will serve well.
I also find the cross sections on the Natives a little obstructive. You could lay down and shoot from a NuCanoe.
But, I'm still researching:S3:

Steve Uffman
06-23-2014, 09:17 PM
I have the tandem which I have configured to solo unless my grandkids are here....the length of the 15 makes the Ultimate 15 effortless to paddle and keep on course......that eliminated both the pedal and trolling motor option although there is a way to rig a trolling motor on the Ultimate 15. The thwarts have not been intrusive at all for me and ......I have the splash guard option which attaches to the bow thwart but I only use that if rain or chop or likely.....in terms of facing the action, the Ultimate FX seat is rated best in class and is extremely comfortable but it easily folds flat and you can lay on it....done in seconds with no tools or commotion, just pull forward the back, slide the straps outward and you are good to go....but I use the anchor trolley to face the action just as you would when fishing.....so not sure I see the benefit of a 360 seat.....seems you would not be very stealthy that way as I am guessing you would swing your legs...with the anchor trolley, I can do it very quietly and easily....have not looked at the duck blind option but I can use my Kwik camo blind and you won't know I am there....

In the end, my determining factor was stability...and the Native Ultimate FX 15 is definitely bottom heavy with the tunnel hull...that adds stability in the water plus makes keeping your equipment dry easier as the water goes into the side troughs which you can easily address if you are worried......now the bottom heavy which gives you stability makes it a bit of an issue when you are putting on your rooftop....I learned the hard way that you put it up on the vehicle and then flip....if not, it will try to right itself while you are lifting and that becomes a bit of a challenge.....

My suggestion is to take both out...surely your dealer has periodic demo days..best way to know for sure....however, I went with what a number of outstanding photographers down here were recommending as I knew that would be the best field testers out there.

Steve Uffman
06-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I need to get a picture taken of me in my rig with the tripod and 600 setup in the kayak.....and the Pelican case and more.....I will try to get that done shortly and post...

Steve Uffman
07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
BTW, I shoot both handheld and from a tripod in the Native Ultimate fx 15. It is a very stable boat with the tunnel hull. In fact, I had my 200-400 on a 1dx out most of the day as I paddled around Lake Martin. Its that stable and the images came out plenty sharp. I use a Lowepro drybag that holds a body mounted to a 70-200 plus other lens and I use a Pelican case that houses the 1dx and the 200-400. However, I have just ordered a Watershed Colorado dry bag which with the padded insert will take the body with the 200-400 mounted and my tripod.

Lorant Voros
07-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. If you guys manage to post pictures of the rig would be sweet. Thanks a lot.

Steve Uffman
07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Pretty well have the Native Ultimate Fx 15 config down.....I have shot a good deal with it and its very stable, wide, tracks straight, easy to paddle, roomy and such...and because you can position the seat below the water line, you can get a real low perspective which I like....a few updates I have just done....I have gone with a Watershed Yukon dry bag as it fits under the tripod and I can slide it to me to get my gear...It also holds a 1dx with a 200-400 canon lens with hood attached....took me a while to find the right bag..the images here show the liner which is padded..it goes inside the bag....I also added two pad eyes, one on each gunnel so I can bungee the tripod in...although it is likely not necessary.... Dealer here has sold a ton of them to area wildlife photographers....I shoot a 70-300 or a 70-200 with a coupler as well but it hangs around my neck....and I have a go pro with a clamp going most of the time as well.

Lyle Gruby
07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
That looks perfect Steve. Have you had any issues with the weight of the kayak? That one is pretty heavy compared to the 12 and 14.5.

Lyle Gruby
07-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Also, does anyone have any experience with the Native vs. the Old Town Predator?

Steve Uffman
07-27-2014, 02:05 PM
One the question of the 12 or 14.5 Native.....The most common among the photographers I see is the 12 but have not tried a tripod set up in it....But it has a great reputation...The 15 which can be configured as a tandem for my grandkids which gives in greater versatility for "our" needs..On the weight issue with the 15, I mount them on the top of my Sequoia and the weight and the fact that its bottom heavy made it a challenge the first time as it wanted to flip as I was putting it on the car....I added the loader option to the Yakima car top rack and weight is no longer an issue...I load one end and then the other....I do load them right side up and flip once they get to the roof if I am by myself with is usual.... The 15 is supposed to have improved stability over the 14.5...I know two people that have them, primarily for fishing and they told me the 15 FX is supposed to be more stable....BTW..on the 15 they also supposedly added freeboard...Best bet is to try one.....

I was told the 15 is faster but I don't know but with the tunnel hull, no need for a rudder IMO and it paddles very easily...Also the seats on the 15 are supposed to be the finest available...important when you are out all day..I find them very comfortable....

The image attached shows the tunnel hull on the overturned kayak with the other showing the cockpit with tripod and lens set up....I added two pad eyes so I can secure the tripod but not sure that was necessary..extra precaution though..